Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Champions 2015
I am reluctant to enter this debate, and generally avoid these many avoidable issues in our game that seem to continually crop up here on the forum and invoke all sorts of falling out and response. I feel compelled however to comment to the last post directly as I believe it is going somewhere that is entirely separate to what is simply a query with merit.

To respond to Andy directly, and choosing my words very carefully here, your comments about Craig seem a bit overly personal and unfair. Knowing Craig quite well as his club mate I can tell you he is a man of principal when he goes about his business. The issue he has raised absolutely should not be linked in anyway to his standing in the game. By which I mean not just his chess playing achievements, but his overall input over the decades to Scottish Chess as a whole. The many who know Craig well will know he is a man of principals who values fairness and this is clearly what his beef with things is about.

If no one can raise an issue within Scottish Chess on the forum anymore for fear of their standing and integrity being questioned, then we are in a pretty bad place and without freedom of speech.

This is most definitely NOT about money which is a knock on side factor. Craig is retired and always the first one to put his hand in his pocket to buy anyone a drink. If you read Craig's posts again it is quite clear this is nothing to do with money.

Lastly, from following Craig at his many FIDE World Seniors C/Ship and FIDE Euro Seniors C/Ship he has played in over recent years, and his public comments on this very forum about these events, it is quite clear he has strong feelings and issue with the age rules and recent changes. And it should be said for the record at his last FIDE Seniors event after recent changes, Craig opted to play in the more difficult +50 rather than the +65 as he prefers to compete against the best. At the very least he should have had the choice in the Scottish.

So please by all means disagree with Craig, absolutely fine and no problem with that. But lets not question his standing in the game.

Messages In This Thread