Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New constitution
Quite a few questions asked. Will answer as best as I can but these are my personal views.

Andy Mc - Chess Scotland is run by the members, who express themselves at the AGM. The AGM is sovereign. Under the AGM we have Council and under that we have the Directors (not the other way around!). Council members were invited by Hamish to a meeting, shown the Constitution and allowed to comment. This nearly three week period is for Members to express their views

Linda et al, I agree, timing is pretty poor. Tuesday morning for people who work, they are just not going to be able to get here. If this is to be brought in for the 2015 AGM, then it has to be done before the announcement goes out (it is going to overlap by a few days). Members have to be given 2 weeks notice which would force it onto the first weekend of the Scottish. With the games being incremental (and this answers Phils question as well), it is impossible to predict what time in the evening to start the meeting. The Saturday is out as we are going to be setting up the Scottish. That leaves the Sunday morning. Public transport in Edinburgh on a Sunday morning makes it pretty hard for anyone to get there.

Robin, Good example, that is exactly why I think it should be included. It is not a simple matter for English GMs to switch federation (we have to agree to it for a start) and I don't think there is going to be a mass exodus from the ECF to Scotland. There is no guarantee that the selectors will select them even if they did!

Ian, I agree I don't think it will be a short meeting and given some of the points that have been raised both here and to me privately, I am concerned that we will have enough time!

Jim, I can't see too many players coming along when they are preparing for a 7 hour game later in the day. I hope to be proven wrong!

Tommy, Hard to answer what you are saying mainly as I have a stance of neutrality when it comes to meetings. Not sure I am comfortable giving my personal opinion on this. I have already had proxies in despite the notice only having been up for 24 hours. Contrary to popular belief, I do not reveal the voting intentions until the meeting itself. That would be completely unfair to both sides of the argument. This is down to the members to decide and nothing I do should influence that. That would plainly be wrong. On your counter motion, if there was a take up on that, then I honestly do not know and would have to take advice on that. I suspect if 10 members agreed to it we would have to add it (as they could force an SGM) but I would have to confer with the others on the Exec on that.

I will try to answer any points that come in, but please remember I am not Cortana!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"

Messages In This Thread