Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson/Spens - what next?
Received from a team captain:

Quote:Clearly something positive needs to be done. Is there a possibility that a Richardson Spens day could be booked in for Pittencreiff Park, Dunfermline - a date to be added to the booking that Glynis makes for the SNCL. This could be a day when the semi-finals for both tournaments are held in the morning and the finals in the afternoon plus a 3rd vs 4th in each. The winners would get the Richardson and Spens trophies, the 2nd places would receive silver medals and the winners of 3rd versus 4th bronze medals.

Clearly such an arrangement only addresses semi-finals and finals. So on the morning in question, there would be 8 teams of x players at the venue. I would leave the teams as 8 meaning 64 players in attendance all day and all players playing 2 games.

All that would remain is the organisation of quarter final ties and maybe these should run as they do at the moment.

By suggesting above where the top teams battle it out on one day at the same venue we elevate the status of both competitions and we also do this by awarding silver and bronze medals.

It may be that Pittencrieff hire for the day is too expensive for 64 players - compared with the 150-200 who turn up for SNCL. Maybe another smaller venue would be bettef. BUT for sure I think that both sets of players should play in the same venue on the same day for both semi finals and finals plus 3rd place play-offs.

I would like to say at this point that responses have been disappointing (in number, that is). Apart from postings on this forum I have had direct replies from one club, two team captains and one club member. Is it really apathy? Is it a matter of leaving the thinking to others and expecting a good solution to magically appear? I had anticipated a good-going debate over several of the issues but it ain't happening.

Messages In This Thread