Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest FIDE announcement
Ianbrownlee Wrote:I can go into a post office and ask to see the electoral role for your area. It will tell me where you live, who your live with, who your neighbours here and perhaps the names of any 17 year old living with you. Compared with that what is the danger of a stranger obtaining your e mail address?

But you wont get my email address...
cos going into the post office and viewing that type of information isn't covered by the act in this way, emails and other electronic details are. The Act amendment in 1998 deals mainly with electronic data and its disclosure are. I repeat if someone or some organisation discloses personal details about you without your consent (it should be written) then they are in breach of the Act. Of course there are exceptions , national security, criminal activity, certain medical records etc. The data in the post office if its in written or verbal form is covered by the Data Protection Act 1974 updated by the Act in 1998, driven by advances in technology. Ever wondered why you normally pay £1.00, well pay me a fiver and 1'll tell you more (only kidding.) You may notice that there are no contact details in the electoral roll. That's why you have a legal right to have your telephone number ex directory. I believe only a legal warrant can get ex directory information.
What does all this mean? Simply that if Chess Scotland ever discloses personal email and other personal information without proving consent and that person objects, Chess Scotland could technically get into trouble. And before anybody asks personal information could include what I eat, etc unless information is in the public domain , such as where I live, who i'm shacked up with and where my 17 year old is (unless my 17 year old is considered private knowledge e.g hidden by a legal body for witness protection) Smile Smile

The solution is either to provide an email address by a body such as Chess Scotland or have a formal form which it possible to tick information my be given to other bodies. This form would also need to be signed

Messages In This Thread