Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest FIDE announcement
Ianbrownlee Wrote:in my opinion George is right and I'll tell you why...
Chess Scotland like all of us are bound by the Data Protection Act (amended 1998 from the 1974 Act to allow for electronic information) in that it is illegal to disclose personal and sensitive information without the specific and written consent (e.g ticking a box to allow this) by the owner of, for example, the e-mail address. Phil himself pointed this out to me when I advertently carbon copied him with an update of the Lanark Open when I used an alternative email address by mistake.
Unless Chess Scotland has express written consent, it cannot divulge email and other information (I'm surprised year of birth can slip through for adults) Date of birth is a grey issue as it is used for validation but still written consent should be sought. I much prefer the option of a chess Scotland email address is used since the ownership of that email address is with chess Scotland. We're definitely sailing into dangerous territory on this one and it would not surprise me in the slightest if other chess federations had similar or even more restrictive legal challenges Smile

Ian,
I still maintain that worrying about release of adult e mails addresses to FIDE is a red herring (to use a familiar idiom) to chess players not concerned with administration of national chess bodies. Others have pointed out recently this notice board is the not always an appropriate place to discuss and debate CS policy.

I can go into a post office and ask to see the electoral role for your area. It will tell me where you live, who your live with, who your neighbours here and perhaps the names of any 17 year old living with you. Compared with that what is the danger of a stranger obtaining your e mail address?

Release of junior email addresses though would introduce child protection issues. A subject worthy of discussion at Council or agm

Messages In This Thread