Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ayr 2015
wharkins Wrote:A more even share of the prize money in chess has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with basic fairness. In the recent Edinburgh Congress of the 200+ participants 59 played in the Premier the other 148 played the lower events, yet, the top section shared 45% of the total prize fund. Therefore, the lower events are subsidising the top section. this seems unfair to me.

This may have nothing to do with politics per se, but George's tongue-in-cheek comment is pretty close to the money. If prizes are the same in all sections then chess in Scotland will stagnate... no incentive to improve... no titled players playing... can't improve even with intrinsic motivation as no good players to play/watch... have to go abroad! Think about the incentives for junior players - this is invaluable to the future of chess in Scotland.

What would we do without ratings? Wink

It seems that some people have no interest in the quality of chess on display, domestically. Fair enough, your objectives are different. I realise that those arguing one side are generally in the lower events and those arguing the other side are generally in the open section - of course there's bias here.

Adam Bremner Wrote:When you enter an event, you are investing in the congress, not just your event. If people feel resentment about "subsiding" the top section, then why not just scrap it all together? The other sections will be able to have more money, and I'm sure the majority of people will be happy with that.
Exactly.

JMcNicoll Wrote:
George Neave Wrote:What a bizarre discussion. Surely the person who wins the top event gets the greatest reward? I cannot think of any other sport or competitive activity of any description where we would see it otherwise!
I cannot think of any other sport or competitive activity of any description where we see that at all.

Very close to all chess tournaments in the world (bridge, Go etc.), all major football leagues (e.g. winner of SPL gets ~£3m, winner of Div1 gets <£100k), all tennis events (ATP/Challenger)... In all seriousness, prize structures are the way they are (as tournament theory would posit) in order to increase the effort given by participants and improve the overall quality, thus drawing more revenue through spectators and sponsors.

Also, congratulations to Iain Gourlay on his IM-norm at the 4NCL! (btw, the prize structure at 4NCL is: Winner of 1st Div gets £1500, 2nd div gets £750, 3rd £375 Wink )

Messages In This Thread