Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ayr 2015
I'm parking my bum on both sides of the fence also as can see both sides to the argument. Am also a big advocate of seeing titled players at congresses. I therefore find it sad so many of Andrew's peers share his views which for me have a lot of merit (not many other titled players are saying it publicly). Seems only fair to point out this is not an isolated viewpoint of just 1 or 2 titled players. By definition there must be something wrong with our congress formats if there is only a minority turn out of our top players. Lets be fair to Ayr Congress also in that it is not really different to any other congress in terms of titled players turning out.

Ayr Congress might not break the mould with attracting titled players, but it does have its own USP's that it does well. Have been at last 2 now and it has become my favourite event and consider it worth the trek/expense. The hotel playing venue is both central and very comfortable and won't be cheap. I was impressed last year at how many Juniors turned out, and expect to see as many or more this time. Andrew Green / Ali Roy do a great job of mixing chess education and fun for the kids also. Andy H does a great job with the live boards and TV screens. David runs a wonderful congress, it anyone wants to give it a go. The nearby Haven caravan park is also great to turn it into a family weekend, did it myself last year and strongly recommend it.

* I am not best friends with David, or anyone involved at Ayr congress Smile

Messages In This Thread