Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ayr 2015
I've clarified that FIDE titles are not the central issue here, so you can either take that explanation or leave it.

We all work on our chess to varying degrees, but you have admitted that lower-ranking players will, on average, have put in less study and practice than those at a higher level. It is hardly being elitist to point out something so obvious.

Anyway, it doesn't look like we're going to find much common ground here, so I'll just reiterate my main point: to win a prize in an Open requires a far higher quality of chess than doing so in a section filled with weaker players. The respective first prizes are currently 150/150/150. If this was changed to, say, 175/150/125 or something similar, it wouldn't make or break anyone's tournament financially, but would act as a token gesture to acknowledge the massive skill differential.
I think it's completely wrong that the winner of the Minor, who might perform at, say, 1600 to win the tournament, will receive the same reward as the winner of the Open who might have to perform at 2500. Others may disagree, and it's up to tournament organisers to do what they think is right, so I'll leave it at that.

Messages In This Thread