Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MINDSET
Quote:Using "mindset" as a factor in selection for a swim squad is very subjective and is open to bias. Basing it on tangible results, such as a personal best times, cuts out this element of bias.

I would agree that any selection process involving human judgement is potentially subjective and subject to bias etc and we have already experienced a little of that :-) but to be fair PB times are also highly biased 50% of the top 20 PBs in one age group were from swimmers in the first three months of the year and similarly early or late maturity introduces another bias.

To be fair to the new policy in the swimming PBs will still be a major factor in selection but they are recognising that there is something else that those swimmers need to become long term competitive swimmers. Also it is something that will become part of the training regime, so that the growth mindset will be encouraged. And not just in the swimmers, but in the coaches and administrators.

Quote:Naturally, as children grow up their interests will change
Agreed - there are many factors why people give anything up: in chess the lack of support within secondary schools is a huge factor that having the right mindset will not fix. I think we were lucky as my son was a late starter at 11 and the 'fun' of 8 sessions a week has not worn off yet - though I have seen many who started at 8 or 9 droping out like yourself.

Quote:the main goal should be to promote swimming for everyone
Yes and no - swimscotland does aim I believe to promote swimming for all but the job of the performance director is to help develop the infrastructure to support and help the good swimmers that want to progress to become elite.

Messages In This Thread