Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MINDSET
Using "mindset" as a factor in selection for a swim squad is very subjective and is open to bias. Basing it on tangible results, such as a personal best times, cuts out this element of bias.

Naturally, as children grow up their interests will change whether it be swimming, chess or any other activity.

I used to swim competitively until the age of 14/15 at which point I decided training 4 nights a week, and 2 mornings before school, was not for me. I had been swimming from about the age of eight.

The new selection process you refer to Mike, I suspect it will make little difference to drop out rates amongst junior swimmers.

Also, in my opinion, the main goal should be to promote swimming for everyone, not just an elite or 'the best'. This point applies to all other activities as well.

As for positive reinforcement, I would imagine most people would agree that this can only but help encourage, promote and enhance performance. If you put your mind to something with a positive attitude, despite the difficulty of the task in hand, there is a far greater chance you will suceed compared to going in with a 'bad' attitude.

Messages In This Thread