Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MINDSET
Hi Woody
I believe that one can have a fixed mindset on parts of chess - perhaps be that phases of the game or perhaps particular types of openings. We are human - we are allowed to have contradictory thought processes at the same time! One of the points of the talk was to emphasis the importance of people taking ownership and recognizing the signs of a fixed mindset so that they can work on it.

I think you are so right about motivation - it is another key element in being talented. You can whip your kids only so far, but then you need to step back let them manage their future. As always knowing exactly when to do that is easier said than done!

I think the wonder of youth is that if motivated they can become good at almost anything.

I do totally agree with Angus that if labels are applied for the sole purpose of branding an individual then they are a bad thing but if applied to help bring insight and an understanding of how to improve then its a useful tool. Perhaps a better term would be 'identified' rather than labeled.

Messages In This Thread