Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MINDSET
I was also thinking that the ability to apply yourself and maximise your potential is also a 'talent' and should be praised. I've been thinking about George Best since reading Mikes first post. Then Maradona floated accross my mind. I wonder what his 'mindset' was. Perhap better not to know :-)

Young children respond really well to praise. As they get older it becomes less significant as they understand it is just a coaching technique.

In terms of selections for a swimming squad I think objective criteria should be most important i.e. Their times rather than a subjective decision by a coach to how hard they think a swimmer is trying and perhaps a subjective decision as to what they think a swimmer's 'mindset' is.

I do think coaches do like to maximise their own significance and importance when the actual person making the effort and advances and showing talent is actually the most significant.

I am though impressed that swimming in Scotland appears to have a very well structured development programme for it's junior swimmers.

Angus

Messages In This Thread