Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dundee & Angus Congress
John,

5 seconds increment would not apply if draw claim was accepted. Rule 4 wording is a little imprecise. it means if the request (for 5 second increments) is accepted.

G.2 in the appendix states Before the start of an event it shall be announced whether this Appendix shall apply or not.

This wording does surprise me. Congresses can decide not to have any 2 minutes claims!!. For me that would be a step backwards.

I doubt that any congresses would do that. Which would mean a tacit assumption by players and controllers that 2 minute claims are allowed. Running with that tacit assumption Appendix G then comes into effect in full. Players can request 5 second increments. The arbiters might never accept any request for 5 second increments but that has to be done on a case by case basis rather than by choosing to apply only some of the published rules.

Just like the old 10.2 rule a claim of a draw is also an offer of a draw.

One thing for all players to be aware of.
Under the previous rules there was no appeal against an arbiter's decision

d.
The decision of the arbiter shall be final relating to (a), (b) and ©.

That wording is not in the new rules and so, unless I've missed something it is now possible to appeal. Something for FIDE to tinker with in their 2018 revision of the rules?

Messages In This Thread