Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson/Spens 2014-15
Ianbrownlee Wrote:Hi Keith and Andy M
I went to Grangemouth tonight to inspect the access to the main hall upstairs the venue is good enough from a disability point of view. I inspected the lift which operates using a dead man switch inside and outside of the lift.

In the event of a fire the lift cannot be used in any circumstance. There are two alternative fire exits as an alternative to the main entrance. One fire exit is internal and be only be used by able bodied people . The other fire exit is external and again can only be used by able bodied people to traverse the stairs although wheelchair bound people can wait outside on a fire resistant platform on the exit until the fire brigade arrive. However this is not necessary as there is a fire resistant manual trolley chair system (evacu-chair)which can manually and securely carry one person down the stairs (ideally next to the lift) with the assistance of an able bodied person (preferably two)

I also met some new friends at Grangemouth Chess Club who helped me (thanks for that) along with the caretaker. I can also confirm that alternative rooms would seem to be available if any issues regarding access occur although I would encourage a three week notice as already indicated is put in place. There are also disabled toilets both on the first and ground floors.

The trolley chair (evacu-chair) is a really good idea to help getting wheelchair bound people out in an emergency should the lift become unavailable and maybe a solution for other venues. The rest of the venue is superbly kitted out for amenities and for access. The evacu-chair is designed to exit a person out, it is not ideal to bring a person in upstairs although it could be used in exceptional cirstumstances.

I would also suggest whoever is supervising the finals and other events at this venue take a few minutes to familiarise the facilities including the lift, fire exits and café. I can produce a basic crib sheet if required.

I am trained to use those Big Grin
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"

Messages In This Thread