Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM
Andy Howie Wrote:
Alan Jelfs Wrote:
Andy Howie Wrote:Are we honestly debating against the rights of Disabled players here????
We are debating the motion, Andy.

I am also puzzled about point 9. - the medical requirements.
Aren't disability and illness being confused here?

This is more Steves territory than mine so I will defer to him on that.

Robin consider this. Someone who is in a wheelchair wants to play. Are you saying they can't? We have to be careful as the organisers will fall foul of current discrimination laws never mind FIDE edicts

Robin,
What Andy has said is quite right. It is better to have them laid down in writing after all they are guidelines.
CS has the right to change them to meet local needs. That is for the council of Chess Scotland to decide not me, because I am not a member of council.

Pat,
As you point out, these are guidelines. There was nothing in writing in the past about this issue. Now there is and it is up to council to look at these guideline and how they can be implemented locally. As Andy has pointed out denying a disabled player the right to play in a tournament, Can lead to legal issues under current laws.

Adam;
If A tournament is invitational the organisers can invite who they wish. That is not the point of these guidelines, if there are subsidiary events and these are open then disabled players if they wish to play cannot be denied entry. The onus is on the organisers to provide accessible accomodation

Messages In This Thread