Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tromso Olympiad
Interesting stuff from Kevin in his usual style Wink

However, why should we give places to players based on age, many of whom simply do not put in the time or effort (which was required by the oldies) or have the ability, to reach international standard? (Let's say 2300 elo) Wouldn't this just be subsidised holidays for youngsters? This is not investing in the future - it's rewarding 'mediocrity' (at an admittedly rather high level!)

Would giving places to 2 or 3 younger players spur them on to fulfil their potential? Possibly, but the thought of representing Scotland in the Olympiad should already be a spur for those who have the potential.

I agree with Kevin that the final placing of the Scottish team isn't so important (and those who follow such events closely know that the luck of the draw in final round in such a huge Swiss event can radically alter that finishing position anyway as Andy Muir pointed out recently).

So what should we want from such an event?

a) that Scotland continue to be represented as a separate entity in such competitions (still important should September's vote come back 'Nay')
b) that we field as strong a team as possible containing those worthy of representing Scotland?
c) Perhaps that we attempt to better our seeding position?
d) That we give chances to those who are in the running for (even higher) titles to gain a 'double norm'.

I'm sure there are other reasons (which others will hopefully supply) but I have to run now to get to my chess club and actually play!

Messages In This Thread