Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seniors Chess
Steve

Direct testimony is always welcome.

Unfortunately, I cannot account for Chess-Results.com’s error. Even though they correctly allocated Ms Kozlovskaya to Board 4 in both the Starting and Alphabetic lists on their site, in all three categories of ‘best player’ (points scored, percentage score and Rating performance), they recorded her as Board 3.

With respect, I’m not sure this slip is germane to the theme that Chess can be a healthy leisure activity for Seniors. It certainly motivates you, I think? Indeed, assigning Ms K to Board 4 may even enhance her profile as some kind of Chess virago, cutting a swathe through what appeared to be lower-graded players. (Their average Rating was artificially depressed by one being ungraded!) But, does that matter in the bigger picture? Isn’t that how competitive chess operates? Look, for example, at the 2600+ player who was ‘wheeled out’ in the last Round to represent Lithuania 1. It was the only game he played, but the Gold Medal was at stake. In the circumstances, his 100% score seems less convincing than Ms K’s 88.9%, comprising 7 wins and 2 draws. Surely, the essential point is that both players were selected to do a (hatchet) job for their respective teams - and succeeded!

End of story? Not exactly. LB took care to illustrate the human aspect, too. Was it not a nice touch, for instance, to record that after completing her game against Keith Arkell, Nona Gaprindashavili then asked him to autograph her copy of ‘Arkell’s Odyssey’? So many people categorise Chess as narrowly cerebral, overlooking it’s a social as well as competitive activity.

I hope you enjoyed Vilnius nonetheless!

Messages In This Thread