Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glorney Teams
Hi Peter
Quote:Of course it starts with selection

Selection is by definition some what near the end of the production line for producing a good team and certainly not the starting point. This is patently the case because you have to have a pool of players to select from to start with and its the process of developing that pool that is the critical path in ensuring a regular supply of players that have the ability and approach to become great chess players.

You could use any selection process you like in many countries and because of their depth in strength that team would be good.

Historically there has been virtually nothing in the way of a system that would encourage the development of players from their early days, it has been very much left to the ad hoc efforts of individuals and individual organizers - and I am not knocking these, its just not enough.

On the nitty gritty of selection - I have been involved in attempting to select players at many levels and would say that it is an impossible task, except for when there are the exceptional standout players that pick themselves. I think that all you can do is try and set out a methodology, apply it transparently, and to use the selection process in constructive manner. By the latter I think it is essential that if player A is not selected the reasons should be communicated to them so that they have the chance to so something about it.

Knowing how the notice board works I would like to stress that I am making no comment with regards the specific players involved this year.

Messages In This Thread