Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Support for Juniors
Hi Peter

I can tell you about some of my experiences as a parent which may differ from others.

With regards to some of your questions…… at present there are no regular national training sessions for juniors. If they were to be arranged I would expect parents would meet the costs. Chess Scotland has organised online coaching which is paid for by parents. To date Chess Scotland has not contributed financially towards coaching for my children Andrew and Kirsty (and to be honest I wouldn’t expect this to be the case). However they have had a whole load of support from CS members such as Peter Woods, Phil Thomas, Michael Hanley, to name but a few =)

For international events, as appears to be the case in England too, unless a junior has a funded place, then travel and accommodation costs are met by parents. If a funded place is awarded then only travel costs have to be met by the parents. However when we were in Mureck in August parents had to pay the registration fees for the tournament too. CS usually send coaches to the international tournaments at no extra cost to parents though I believe most of the coaches costs are met by the tournament organisers. As far as I am aware we do not have anything like the John Robinson trust to help juniors which is a pity as travelling to play in chess tournaments can be a very pricey affair Sad

Messages In This Thread