Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM
Steve Andy (H)

Motion 1 has only just been released (9 August). Steve says: ‘new guidelines came into effect on July 1 2014’. Andy says: ‘As per the Minutes of the Rules Commission a few days ago … The words are not Steve’s, they are the recommendations that have been presented to the various committees here in Tromso and to my knowledge have been accepted by all’.

Which statement is correct? If the new Rules came into effect on 1 July 2014, why was it necessary to present them to the Rules Commission in Tromso a month or so later? Ratification after the event, or ratification of selected guidelines only?

If the purpose of Motion 1 is to update CS practices to bring them into line with FIDE Guideleines, then it would be normal to introduce them via a Preamble to this effect. But, would that not require, first, the Guidelines to have been formally ratified and an announcement to that effect made so that everyone (i.e. Chess Federations) can dance to the same tune? Is the AGM at risk of getting ahead of the game?

Second, if the Guidelines are restricted to FIDE rated tournaments, then they do not apply to non-FIDE rated tournaments. Officially. That’s not to say that CS should not encourage ‘all chess events’ to apply these standards/practices/guidelines.

Where can we see the official FIDE release so that we can all operate on a level playing field?

I find it hard to believe that there can have been many - any? - substantive changes to the text of the FIDE Handbook that I quoted from above. [See Chapter titled; Guidelines to treatment of disabled chess players and dated 25 February 2013]

[Stage whisper:

Geez. You’d think this was a re-run of that great movie, ‘The Sting’. You know, the one in which Bob Newhart, the confidence trickster, upstaged Robert Shaw, the mobster, by switching marked decks in a poker game. The mobster thought he was the one who was cheating, only for Bob to substitute his own marked, pre-dealt cards and catch out the mobster, who couldn’t let on that the game had been rigged from the start. Wonderful film. Great Music - ragtime - great comedy.

Directtor:

Shush, George! It was Paul Newman, not Bob Newhart.

George:

Really? Well, Bob Newhart’s much funnier, anyway!

Director:

George! Just shut up and leave the jokes to Geoff Chandler.]

Messages In This Thread