Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess Olympiad - Matthew Turner
Andy Howie Wrote:
David Deary Wrote:
Jonathan Edwards Wrote:This is irrelevant. I supported England against Scotland in the summer
Sad

Alan Jelfs Wrote:I too support England against Scotland at football - other way round for chess though.
Sad

Football supporting to one side. FIDE should really be the driver for this... what exactly is the guidance from FIDE on this?

Under FIDE Matthew is eligible to play for Scotland

Hi Andy,
Based on which 'rule' exactly? Douglas seems to be saying it is unclear?!
EDIT: Oh, because Matthew is already registered as SCO and therefore 'nationality' rules don't come into it?
Another thing to consider, what happens, hypothetically, if we get a yes vote in September.

Looking at the white paper "Following independence, other people will be able to apply for Scottish citizenship. For example, citizenship by descent will be available to those who have a parent or grandparent
who qualifies for Scottish citizenship."

Opens a whole can of worms.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
andyburnett Wrote:Hi Andy,
EDIT: Oh, because Matthew is already registered as SCO and therefore 'nationality' rules don't come into it?

In one! When Matthew transferred there was a period where he could not play, after which he is allowed to represent Scotland. In the eyes of FIDE, he is allowed to play
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I should also add this is not just about Matthew Turner, however Andy tries to paint this, this affects Junior International Selections as well
Andy Howie Wrote:
andyburnett Wrote:Hi Andy,

In one! When Matthew transferred there was a period where he could not play, after which he is allowed to represent Scotland. In the eyes of FIDE, he is allowed to play

So is there any actual need for a proposal at the AGM? Is there one or will it just be raised under AOCB?

What is the order of importance when it comes to such matters?

Do FIDE laws/rules trump our own CS ones?
Can we ignore certain rules (at international level?) and would we want to?
Do we need to simply pass an amendment of our rules?

Sorry, I have lots of questions but I don't have the answers Smile This does, or may, affect quite a few players.
The problem we have is we have never (to my knowledge) been in this situation before. There was supposed to be a BICC meeting but after 2 years of both us and the Welsh trying to get it organised....

How would FIDE rule here. I think simply they would rule he was eligible as we have registered him as Scottish. We probably want to avoid going against FIDE rules but we are free to do so and yes it would be an amendment to our existing rules. It would be an addition of a 5th criteria
This is all too confusing especially with everyone called Andy Sad
I have to admit that I haven't read every minutiae of this thread, but just to clarify my position.

1. It is entirely up to ChessScotland how they set their eligibility criteria for selection. As a CS member I will have one vote on this the same as every other member.
2. I would like to represent Scotland (at an event like the Olympiad) at some future date.
3. I would only do this it if had the support of the rest of the team.
4. I could not play in an event that took place during term time.

The Olympiad in Tromso takes place from August 1st - August 14th, so if ChessScotland rules were such that I were eligible to play and the rest of the team were agreeable then I would be available for selection.