Poll: Should the Richardson Cup be FIDE rated?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
89.66%
26 89.66%
No
3.45%
1 3.45%
I am not fussed either way
6.90%
2 6.90%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Richardson Cup be FIDE rated?
mmmmm I thought those countries were in Europe too Stevie =|
so far 22 people want it FIDE rated
why not a Scottish FIDE rated open amongst you ? 9 rounds or 21 rounds ? venue = edinburgh
amuir Wrote:so far 22 people want it FIDE rated
why not a Scottish FIDE rated open amongst you ? 9 rounds or 21 rounds ? venue = edinburgh

Sounds good! It would be nice to see you play in a 21 round or 9 round FIDE event. Why don't we have both? Let's start with FIDE rating the Richardson Tongue
I am a bit hungover after the office party last night - was first up on the karaoke.

Unlikely I will play Edinburgh FIDE rated. Foreign tournaments are more interesting. This would apply to most titled players too.

It's like the same sex marriage debate - it's about definitions. Should the ELO rating system apply to national as well as international events ?

In the 1980's the Scottish Championship was a 7 round swiss and was not ELO rated. It was only when the 9 round format with title norms was introduced that it became ELO rated.

It is not clear why some weekend tournaments are ELO-rated and some not.
Quote:It's like the same sex marriage debate
Tongue
you mean like a minority imposing their views?
Mike Scott Wrote:
Quote:It's like the same sex marriage debate
Tongue
you mean like a minority imposing their views?

In what way is a minority imposing their views? I was under the impression that most people were in support of same sex marriage?
It is irrelevant which minority I was referring to. Could have been the clergy in opposing it or the gay couples wanting it.
what exactly does this have to do with Fide Rating the Richardson??
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Very little.
Quote:you mean like a minority imposing their views?

unfortunately we have this happening in many areas of chess, the (very) vocal minority ruling over the silent majority. When they feel challenged or their power base threatened they coordinate their attack on the hapless individual who dares to oppose them. Sad really. Sad