Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 Olympiad
I have been toying with using Increments in a tournament for a while. I might give it a go with the next one, just need to work out a good time to use
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Derek Howie Wrote:
Alan Tate Wrote:And yes I still think that adult chess is somewhat neglected compared to junior chess....
In what respect? Neglected by who?

Just the fact that when a player turns 18 there are far fewer (partly)funded events and they are pretty much left on their own.

Hugh Brechin Wrote:Our Open team is seeded 65th out of 157 and begins by playing the U.S. Virgin Islands this afternoon, bearing out a prediction I made to Alan at the EUropean Youth last week.

Freaky.
Derek Howie Wrote:Not sure that the junior tournament idea would work because:

- junior events are effectively allegros, so is not the same as 2 hour plus games. I know Phil mentions the Primary Individual but it was still looked upon by many as an allegro, despite the way that it was graded.
- it's difficult enough to get kids that play junior tournaments to take their time
- the junior squad generally don't play in junior events

It would certainly be interesting to see a congress try it but it may not be practical with the 2 games a day scenario, but hopefully someone can overcome that potential problem.

Well it's a start. Future junior internationalists will have played in junior events will they not? It's true though that if some (sections of) congresses could adopt the system then this would be more beneficial. The practical issues are something of a myth as Clement points out - it is very rare for games to go past 100 moves.
There is a budget for international chess - if any money is left after olympiad expenses, entry fees etc we could organise a training event. Also Paul Motwani is coming to Scotland in May.
Trainers are very important. Can we have more budget ?
Look what Ivan Lendl has done.
Incremental Time controls are terrible, please let us not ruin chess in Scotland by introducing them here!

Players need to learn to manage their time, if you run out of time in a "winning position" then tough, learn to move faster!
JRedpath Wrote:Incremental Time controls are terrible, please let us not ruin chess in Scotland by introducing them here!

Players need to learn to manage their time, if you run out of time in a "winning position" then tough, learn to move faster!

+1
I'm not a huge fan of them either, but whether they're better or not is beside the point. All major international events these days use them, so the question is whether we should endeavour to adopt incremental controls - if feasible, though I was going to make Clement's point if he hadn't already got there; 100-move games are rare - at some domestic events to adequately prepare our adult and junior internationalists. I think we should at least consider it.
I'm just waiting to hear but it it entirely possible that the rules for a draw claim may have changed and arbiters may have the option of giving the players a time plus increment instead of playing on.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Hugh Brechin Wrote:I'm not a huge fan of them either, but whether they're better or not is beside the point. All major international events these days use them, so the question is whether we should endeavour to adopt incremental controls - if feasible, though I was going to make Clement's point if he hadn't already got there; 100-move games are rare - at some domestic events to adequately prepare our adult and junior internationalists. I think we should at least consider it.

I can't really agree, the number of players in Scotland who play regulary in international events is pretty small, not enough to justify changing the time controls in domestic events.
I wonder - would I cause any offense if I said that the number of congresses in Scotland that Joe Redpath attends is pretty small*, not enough to justify not experimenting with incremental time controls?

* I was thinking of writing "zero" rather than "pretty small", but some clever-clogs might have replied that if the Big Bang theory is correct the whole universe started from zero, so zero may not be a pretty small number.