Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Championships
Just reposting this here.

Scottish Championships 2012 Announcement

Chess Scotland is pleased to announce that the 2012 Scottish Championships will be greatly enhanced thanks to the support of an anonymous benefactor.

This person wishes to remain unknown and we will honour that request. I am not able to say how much the arrangement is for, other than it is a significant amount which should enable a large number of titled players to take part. The ambitious target figure is to have 10 GMs and 10 IMs competing and a total field of at least 80 players.

I hope to be able to confirm dates and a venue within the next few weeks. I will then contact our titled players with offers of ‘conditions’. Thereafter other titled players will be approached.

The provisional dates are 7th-15th July. (It may be the week before.)
With some luck we will be able to put on an event to rival, if not better, Edinburgh 2009.

There is the potential for this deal to be extended to three years. It also means that we can now make a realistic bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Championships.

The website for the event is already on line and can be found at: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/scottishchampionship2012/">http://www.chessscotland.com/scottishchampionship2012/</a><!-- m -->

As part of the sponsorship deal Chess Scotland will be able to get 8 sensory boards. However, whilst this money can be used initially it must be returned to the Scottish Championship fund. This does allow us to get the boards and start the process of live games.

The AGM unanimously passed a vote of thanks to benefactor. Anyone else wishing their appreciation to be recorded should contact Alex McFarlane.
Click on the link at the end to see the Championship website created by Andrew McHarg. A page on Champions with pictures has been added. A few of the earlier Champions do not have pictures. If anyone knows of an appropriate picture please get in touch.

I'm still waiting on confiirmation of the venue but progress is being made.
Pictures wanted of the following:
Craig SM Thomson, Peter Coast, Christopher B Heath,
Percy Wenman, Edmund Macdonald, George B Fraser,
James Marshall, Georges E Barbier, John Crum
Colour pictures of
Danny Kopek, Mark Condie, Roddy McKay
Better quality of
Graeme Morrison, Gerald Bonner, Peter Jamieson, Peter B Anderson
Nearer actual time of event for
Eric Holt, David Levy, James Aitken
More recent
William Fairhurst, James Aitken

Thanks for any help.
Congratulations and thankyou to our kind friend!

Any chance of having a holiday destination this year. Edinburgh and Glasgow are too busy, traffic wise and parking. A lovely hotel where we can dump the car for the week and bring the family would be terrific.
Doesn't even have to be in a town - Skibo Castle or Gleneagles would be nice ( well I can dream can't I??)

My favourite Championships were Largs and Oban. Plenty of entertainment for players and family.

What does everyone else think? Can we have a poll please?

GG
What about Dundee (or specifically for CS championships, Monifieth) - close to history (Roman, Pictish, industrial, exploration), water sports, hillwalking, golf, angling, art, chess ....

There are camping & caravan sites close by, other reasonably priced accommodation (not Premier Travel Inn though, despite what Lenny says) and, during the summer, student rooms courtesy of Dundee Uni.

If that doesn't appeal I have fond memories of the CS championship in Troon many years ago when I lodged in Ayr and commuted. Nostalgia is a comforting thing.
nice to see positive moves in chess. i feel that sponsors are out there, they just need a little persuasion. we have no real experience of how to handle this area, i've seen sponsors scared off by their (non) treatment. i sincerely hope that this marvellous benefactor is nurtured and encouraged so that we have further monies to promote scottish chess.
good news about the anonymous sponsor!

i have a request for next year's event - please make the start time 2pm instead of 1pm. Starting at 1 gives a problem over when to have lunch and where to have it if you have to travel to get to the venue! My routine involves avoiding eating directly before playing since if you eat too much or eat the wrong food you can feel heavy or sleepy when playing...
PRoberts Wrote:good news about the anonymous sponsor!

i have a request for next year's event - please make the start time 2pm instead of 1pm. Starting at 1 gives a problem over when to have lunch and where to have it if you have to travel to get to the venue! My routine involves avoiding eating directly before playing since if you eat too much or eat the wrong food you can feel heavy or sleepy when playing...

It would also possibly increase the entries as people would only need to take a half day off work each day!!
The search for a venue in Edinburgh has been unsuccessful (last year's venue would not be large enough unfortunately). I now have one or two options in Glasgow. Details should be confirmed very soon.
The venue has now been confirmed as the Trades House, Glassford Street, Glasgow.

Please look at the website or CS calendar for entry form.

I already have one GM entry and a serious enquiry from another.