Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CS live boards
I note the absence of CS live boards at the first four weekend congresses of the season. I don't know all the reasons behind that but thought it might be worth suggesting a way to possibly increase live coverage.

1/ Have a one day course at a suitable venue, run by Andy Howie or Dave Clayton, attended by folks in as many areas of Scotland as possible. CS of course pick up the tab!

2/ Successful attendees at the course would then have to be "signed off" by Andy or Dave at an event or events (SNCL?), similar to the arbiting route.

This of course would mean a lot of extra work initially for guys like Andy and Dave but longer term we would have more folks able to operate the live boards throughout Scotland. It would greatly increase the number of events CS could cover, both adult and affiliated junior. It would be great to see events like the NEJCA Keith Hoban memorial or the Dumfries Allegro live.
Whilst this is a good idea, one thing that has put us off is the kit is very expensive. I can only do events that I am asked to do (and if I there is something preventing me from getting there like this weekend).

Fiona and I are working to get another 12 boards to increase the number we have to 20. We will then have close to £30k worth of kit. That is not going to be given out lightly.

I do need someone else to learn how to do this in case I am hit by a bus... I have asked many times before, but I am finding myself overwhelmed by the number of volunteers.

To be honest, I am more concerned at the number of arbiters and tournament organisers. Whilst the live boards are a nice to have, we need to be focussing our energies in getting more arbiters qualified and finding people to come forward to run tournaments. No point having the boards and not having the tournaments to do it
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy,

I agree that the number of arbiters,organisers etc is a concern but my suggestion is on live boards.

There is about a dozen or so events run by the NEJCA and Lothians Junior Chess organisations, both of which are affiliated to ChessScotland. We have had four adult congresses so far this season. None of these events have had or are likely to have live boards available, despite being well organised and with arbiters present.
There are of course, plenty of other possible events where live boards would be welcome.

I fail to see why CS should be purchasing (?) more live boards if we are not using the ones we have available.

CS need to come up with a plan asap to try and gain the maximum benefit from this expensive equipment throughout all of Scotland before we purchase any more.
If you think the number of Arbiters and Tournament organizers is not important, you are sadly mistaken. We have a chronic shortage of both.

Look at the congresses we have lost recently. How many more do we have to lose?
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
And for the record, Greenwood and Inverness didn't want them or ask for them, Largs and Edinburgh (that I never miss), I was unable to attend for personal reasons.

Happy now?
Andy Howie Wrote:If you think the number of Arbiters and Tournament organizers is not important, you are sadly mistaken. We have a chronic shortage of both.

Look at the congresses we have lost recently. How many more do we have to lose?

Andy, where did I say this?

The thread is about live boards and the lack of coverage ChessScotland are giving to the existing tournaments presently being well run and arbited.
And like I have already said, two of the four tournaments never asked or didn't want them.

Not everyone wants to have the live boards at their tournaments
May I ask why, if there is a reluctance from tournaments to have them and a lack of experienced persons to operate them why CS are in the process of purchasing another 12 boards which I understand will cost £18k ?
So we can cover full events like the Scottish, Richardson / Spens / Campbell Rosebowl final to attract sponsorship.

Your 18K is way off the mark
Andy,

I simply divided the 30k figure you mentioned earlier by 20 (boards)=1.5K per board
I then multiplied it by 12 (new boards) =18K.

How much will they cost?