Forums
Chess Scotland Fund Raising - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Chess Chat (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Chess Scotland Fund Raising (/thread-920.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Chess Scotland Fund Raising - Ianbrownlee - 19-03-2014

On Budget day I thought it a good idea on fund raising. Has anyone got any good constructive ideas on how we can raise funds for Chess Scotland and what it can be used for. Smile Please keep this thread to this subject please Smile

Re: Chess Scotland Fund Raising - Matthew Turner - 19-03-2014

Invite the great and the good from Edinburgh Chess Club to a Black Tie Dinner at a local establishment. Get them schlossed, have a game of heads and tails if they can still stand and then have a charity auction. It's a tried and tested formula

Re: Chess Scotland Fund Raising - Ianbrownlee - 19-03-2014

I was actually thinking of simuls by our stronger chess players but your idea sounds better Smile

Re: Chess Scotland Fund Raising - Matthew Turner - 21-03-2014

I don't seem to be able to edit posts any more, so I've corrected a couple of typos

I think simuls are good at achieving certain objectives, but I doubt they will raise significant funds for Chess Scotland. Nobody seemed to respond to my first idea, perhaps people think it is either completely stupid or totally obvious, so here is another one.

One of the Olympiad team runs from Edinburgh to Glasgow calling in at various chess club on route to play the President of that club in a blindfold challenge. Runner gets sponsored and clubs raise at least £100 to take part. Seems whacky enough to raise a bit of media interest?
Matt

Re: Chess Scotland Fund Raising - andyburnett - 21-03-2014

How about a charity chess-boxing match?

I will take on Andy Muir :ymbringiton: The winner gets to choose which events get FIDE-rated next year.

Phil Thomas can take on...well, pretty much every CS junior chess post-holder! Winner gets to publicly display the others budget spending

Geoff Chandler can fight a chess-engine-robot-thing: if Geoff wins the engine has to switch off its tablebases and 'play on a real chessboard'. Geoff loses and he has to write an article on 'Why the Lewis chess-pieces are actually chess-pieces'.

Sure there are more match-ups we'd all like to see?

Re: Chess Scotland Fund Raising - Patrick McGovern - 21-03-2014

Quote:Phil Thomas can take on...well, pretty much every CS junior chess post-holder! Winner gets to publicly display the others budget spending

LOL Smile)

Re: Chess Scotland Fund Raising - Andy Howie - 22-03-2014

Lets not start this again!

Re: Chess Scotland Fund Raising - Hugh Brechin - 22-03-2014

Matthew Turner Wrote:Invite the great and the good from Edinburgh Chess Club to a Black Tie Dinner at a local establishment. Get them schlossed, have a game of heads and tails if they can still stand

This is going to be an expensive evening for you, Matthew.

(I'd certainly chip in my share to see John Shaw running fifty miles and playing blindfold chess.)

Re: Chess Scotland Fund Raising - robin moore - 22-03-2014

Hold on, Matt has entered the Edinburgh congress. He can bring up his running shoes, headache tablets and start off from my place in Prestwick, calling in for a pint /game or two on the way. Mind you, he could be struggling to get out of Ayrshire.

Thinly disguised GM Matt Turner has entered the Edinburgh congress...get your entries in!

Re: Chess Scotland Fund Raising - Andrew McHarg - 22-03-2014

Are there any GMs in Scotland who would actually be capable of running from Edinburgh to Glasgow in a single day? Serious Q. Big Grin