Forums
Leaving the board during play - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: The Arbiters Jotter (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Leaving the board during play (/thread-610.html)

Pages: 1 2

Leaving the board during play - Graham Kerr - 01-07-2013

I had always understood that one shouldn't leave the board when it is their turn to move.
Is this a rule or just etiquette? Or am i mistaken?

Re: Leaving the board during play - Donald Wilson - 01-07-2013

Players can leave the board at any time. But if it's their move they cannot leave the playing room without an arbiter's permission.

I think leaving the board repeatedly when it's your move could be considered disrespectful to your opponent, and carries at least the possibility of action by an arbiter (though I've never come across an instance of that).

Leaving the board when it's your opponent's move is, of course, perfectly legitimate - even as a psychological weapon.

Re: Leaving the board during play - Graham Kerr - 01-07-2013

Thanks Donald.
It was a game i played in a congress not so long ago, where my opponent left the room on his move no fewer than 3 times, on each occasion he was in a tricky spot. I wouldn't go accusing someone of cheating without some sort of proof, but it certainly does raise the suspicion level.

As it turned out, i won the game anyway but each time he left it did annoy me...

Re: Leaving the board during play - Patrick McGovern - 06-07-2013

Graham Kerr Wrote:Thanks Donald.
It was a game i played in a congress not so long ago, where my opponent left the room on his move no fewer than 3 times, on each occasion he was in a tricky spot. I wouldn't go accusing someone of cheating without some sort of proof, but it certainly does raise the suspicion level.

As it turned out, i won the game anyway but each time he left it did annoy me...

if the player has acted in this way perhaps he/she should be given the opportunity to refute this???

Re: Leaving the board during play - Graham Kerr - 07-07-2013

Patrick McGovern Wrote:
Graham Kerr Wrote:Thanks Donald.

if the player has acted in this way perhaps he/she should be given the opportunity to refute this???

I'm not quite sure if i'm catching on to what you mean Patrick...

I haven't named who my opponent was, and they would only know i was talking about them if they had actually left the room on those occasions mentioned...

Re: Leaving the board during play - Patrick McGovern - 07-07-2013

if the player recognises him/herself then perhaps they should comment? I'm sure they would not wish to continue with a shadow cast over their reputation, then again given the actions maybe they dont care Sad

Re: Leaving the board during play - Graham Kerr - 07-07-2013

well, we'll see... i just hope all my previous congress opponents aren't now thinking i'm talking about them...

Re: Leaving the board during play - WBuchanan - 08-07-2013

Let’s not forget that an accusation (or even a suggestion) of cheating is quite a serious thing - far more so than the outcome of a game. People might have a genuine reason for leaving the room. During a game in the 2012 Glasgow Congress I had a tummy bug and went to the toilet five or six times during the opening. You aren't supposed to have conversations in the playing room, maybe he had a visitor.

I can see how it might be annoying, but I think you should have asked your opponent at the time why he was leaving the room, or maybe had a word with the arbiter. Maybe your opponent should have explained himself. Maybe we need another rule (sigh…) or some guidance.

Re: Leaving the board during play - Graham Kerr - 08-07-2013

I wasn't accusing him of cheating Walter, i just wondered if it was a rule as i had always understood it to be, or if it was just etiquette.
I realise there can be many reasons for leaving the room, anyone can get a dose of the runs or anything like that.
BTW, that was a gruelling game you had yesterday, was watching with interest.

Re: Leaving the board during play - WBuchanan - 09-07-2013

Ah were you the tall fellow, in the blue shirt…yeah I had quite a hard time in that game.

I think you’re right it’s etiquette - it couldn’t be a general rule as such, unless there were en suite facilities. If he was actually leaving the board when it was his turn to move, as opposed to just returning tardily, that would be worse.