Forums
Training in Scotland - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Chess Chat (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Training in Scotland (/thread-1238.html)

Pages: 1 2

Training in Scotland - JonathanIMGrant - 28-05-2015

I spotted a gap in the chess calendar for the weekend of 5 to 7 June and thought players planning to compete over the summer (Scottish Championship or abroad) might get some value out of training. I discussed the possibility with Neil Berry and Calum MacQueen of running an event in the Edinburgh Chess Club. Fortunately the venue is available before it closes for a refurb and we've agreed the logistics.

I've posted details of the seminar under "Tournaments and Events". Proceeds from entry will be split between Edinburgh CC and Chess Scotland. I'm not taking a fee personally from this event.

Especially when I was International Director, I enjoyed hosting some of the world's best trainers, such as Dvoretsky and Marin, and being inspired by their sessions. It gave me the chance to see how the experts worked and to discuss ideas with them.

Last year I had the opportunity to participate in the FIDE Training Seminars at the Tromso Olympiad and qualified as a FIDE Trainer. I'd hoped to run something before now but it turned out to be a hectic year at work.

What are your experiences of training? Share what's worked or hasn't.

Hope to see some of you 5 to 7 June!

Re: Training in Scotland - Clement Sreeves - 28-05-2015

Excellent. Count me in.

Re: Training in Scotland - andyburnett - 28-05-2015

Good stuff. Hopefully I can make it too Smile

Re: Training in Scotland - Alan Tate - 29-05-2015

Sounds good

Re: Training in Scotland - StevieHilton - 29-05-2015

Training is all very well. It is sad that you pick a weekend in which I will be finish playing in the British Championships for the blind. I am going to play in Lyon France at the European Championships for the blind in July, hence the reason I will not play in the Scottish this year. I need help in preparing for these events, too late for the British blind but not too late for the Europeans. I have had no help from CS for years, in preparing for big events

Re: Training in Scotland - andyburnett - 29-05-2015

StevieHilton Wrote:Training is all very well. It is sad that you pick a weekend in which I will be finish playing in the British Championships for the blind. I am going to play in Lyon France at the European Championships for the blind in July, hence the reason I will not play in the Scottish this year. I need help in preparing for these events, too late for the British blind but not too late for the Europeans. I have had no help from CS for years, in preparing for big events

Jonathan should be applauded for this intiative, Stephen, and can't be expected to take into account events happening outside Scotland which he may not even be aware of. Even if he were, changing it to cater for one individual would be 'extreme'.

As for CS help over the years, have you asked? CS isn't exactly rolling in money but might consider such a request for help or be able to organise something re: training?!

Also, there is private coaching available as you know, and not particularly expensive, especially if it's for one-off preparation. I also received some funding help from 'Friends of Chess' last year - perhaps they, or similar, could help you out in some way?

Re: Training in Scotland - William Hulme - 01-06-2015

I really enjoy these kind of events and would encourage anyone who's still thinking about it - to give it a go! There's plenty of them to watch on Youtube but being there and able to participate and ask those "silly questions" which rarely turn out to be "silly" is all part of the experience of being there live. Also having the chance to enjoy a lecture from someone you know (and could meet in a tournament) feels much more "at home" than watching a video.
Unfortunately I can't make it this weekend but I do hope its the first of many - so good luck Jonathan!

Re: Training in Scotland - StevieHilton - 06-06-2015

Just got back home from the British Championships for the Blind in Morecambe. I finished second with 5.5/7, half a point behind the winner. I had 4 wins 3 draws

Re: Training in Scotland - Patrick McGovern - 06-06-2015

well done stevie; you are a credit to ayrshire chess Smile

Re: Training in Scotland - William Hulme - 07-06-2015

Well done Stevie - that's a great score!!