Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 375
» Latest member: Brianbig
» Forum threads: 2,240
» Forum posts: 22,490

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 547 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 545 Guest(s)
Bing, Google

Latest Threads
2024 SNCL AGM Minutes
Forum: League Announcements
Last Post: amuir
Yesterday, 10:26 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 107
Andy Howie in Canada
Forum: Scots Abroad
Last Post: Andy Howie
22-04-2024, 06:37 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 1,185
SNCL Round 9 and AGM fol...
Forum: General Chess Chat
Last Post: Glynis Grant
15-04-2024, 10:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 179
Livingston Allegro, April...
Forum: Tournaments and Events
Last Post: JMcNicoll
31-03-2024, 10:39 AM
» Views: 184
Edinburgh Park Congress
Forum: Tournaments and Events
28-03-2024, 04:06 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 746
Meanwhile in Spain
Forum: Scots Abroad
Last Post: Mike Chisholm
28-03-2024, 12:05 PM
» Views: 396
Edinburgh Park live games
Forum: Live Games
22-03-2024, 09:27 PM
» Views: 251
Cheap(ish) Chessbase 16 a...
Forum: General Chess Chat
Last Post: ruairidhmckay
19-03-2024, 10:39 PM
» Views: 366
Martin B Edwards
Forum: Obituaries
Last Post: Ianbrownlee
02-03-2024, 07:58 PM
» Views: 625
Livingston Allegro
Forum: Live Games
02-03-2024, 03:12 PM
» Views: 242

Liverpool Update
Posted by: Andy Howie - 10-12-2011, 09:18 PM - Forum: Junior Chess Chat - Replies (6)

U12 won both games and face the Midlands tomorrow in a winner takes all clash

Print this item

TAFCA President James R. Chalmers
Posted by: Keith Rose - 10-12-2011, 07:37 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (3)

I am sorry to have to announce that Jim has passed away. For anyone who will wish to pay their respects I will advise of arrangements once they are in place.

A full and appropriate reflection of Jim's contribution to chess and of the man himself will follow.

Print this item

Do chess players suffer from hot hands syndrome?
Posted by: Mike Scott - 10-12-2011, 02:35 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (2)

Hot hands is something I read about in a BBC web site article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16074623 - which reports on an investigation into the believe that basketball players have that if they score a long range shot that they have hot hands and are therefore more likely to score with their next shots. The research confirmed that players that did score with a shot did then attempt more long range shots.

However what it also showed was that a player that has just scored with a long range shot is LESS likely to score on their next shot. They also found that the player that misses a shot is MORE likely to get the next shot.

The conclusion being "... that despite years of experience, professional basketball players let the outcomes of their most recent actions affect their behaviour in ways that can negatively impact their performance.

Whats this to do with chess?

Well how often do we play a good or bad move (or game) and let that cloud our assessments and actions thereafter? I guess it is no different from the gambler that gets lucky, assumes that the gods are on his side and keeps playing and loosing until all the pennies are gone.

I wonder how often that someone plays well, gets a good position and gambles it on a move they can not properly calculate but play because they assume that they're playing well. Or how often do we miss a saving move or even a winning move because we stop trusting our own judgement because of a poor earlier move?

It also again shows what a gulf can exist between human gut feeling/instincts/old wife's tales when a scientific study is applied.

Print this item

Allegro League 8th Dec Rescheduled to 15th Dec
Posted by: Andrew McHarg - 08-12-2011, 04:51 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (1)

The above event which was cancelled on Thursday 8th December will now take place on Thursday 15th December.

Please pass on to those who may be affected.

Print this item

Australian's asked to find another school
Posted by: Alex McFarlane - 07-12-2011, 11:26 AM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (1)

Two primary school brothers who represented Australia in the recent World Youth Championships in Brazil have been told by their primary school that they must leave and go elsewhere. They were refused permission to go to the tournament and therefore there participation was regarded as unathorised absence.
Both scored well so it was not a case of buying a place.

As you can imagine there are some very annoyed Australian chess players.

How would we react if the same thing happened to our representatives?

Obviously when considering upcoming exams it must be a consideration - but at primary (and I think the brothers are 6 and 8 years old)

Print this item

London Classic
Posted by: Calum MacQueen - 03-12-2011, 10:33 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (12)

Nice to see the 2800 club playing. How McShane survived that I'll never know!

Also very nice to see some Scots down in the FIDE open. Goods win for Neil Berry and Julius Schwartz. Julius's reward being white vs Lawrence Webb.
Douglas McKerracher went down as black vs an IM. Neil Farrell and Clement Sreeves seemed to have a bit of an off day losing and drawing respectively. But long tournament so heres to a bit more luck in the next few rounds. Good luck all!

Calum

Print this item

Benidorm
Posted by: robin moore - 02-12-2011, 02:20 PM - Forum: Tournaments and Events - Replies (2)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://chess-results.com/tnr55417.aspx?art=2&rd=1&lan=1&turdet=YES&flag=30">http://chess-results.com/tnr55417.aspx? ... ES&flag=30</a><!-- m -->

Monica Espinosa is playing in the sub 2000 event in Benidorm. She is mainly there to play in the under 12 event but the very best wishes to her for having the courage to play in this really tough but excellent tournament.

Print this item

Great Britian Chess Federation sues FIDE
Posted by: Andy Howie - 01-12-2011, 08:38 AM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (1)

As it states in the minutes of the Congress

"Speaking about problems which FIDE is facing, I would like to draw your attention to a law suit,
initiated by Chess Federations of Great Britain and Georgia. I just want to mention that we have a
necessity to amend the FIDE Statutes, regarding the place of settling legal disputes – CAS of
Lausanne."

I have contacted FIDE and we have been sent an apology as it was the ECF and we are not involved.

Print this item

Bobby Fischer Against The World
Posted by: tom tait - 28-11-2011, 03:21 PM - Forum: General Chess Chat - Replies (1)

This Wednesday BBc 4 9pm showing the storyville documentary of Fischers life before and after becoming world champion

Print this item

Lothians Allegro 2012 - Saturday 7th January
Posted by: Andrew McHarg - 28-11-2011, 01:22 PM - Forum: Tournaments and Events - Replies (30)

Lothians Allegro 2012

Venue: Wester Hailes Education Centre, Edinburgh
Date: 7th January 2012
Rounds: 5
Round 1 Starts: 10:00
Time Controls: 30 minutes each for all moves (Allegro)

More details to follow...

Big Grin

Print this item