Forums

Full Version: Olympiad Captain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Strange that this side-show is the big story - rather than anyone commenting on fact 3 time Brit champ GM Rowson not available.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://chessscotland.com/international/olympiad2010.htm">http://chessscotland.com/international/olympiad2010.htm</a><!-- m -->

Not sure if anyone actually ventures into the website away from this noticeboard but there are reports on the Olympiad back to 1998 - available from that link. You can see who was captain on most of these.

With regard to the non-Scottish status of the current captain I recall Valentina Jarrett had the job in Armenia 1996 and Elista 1998. It wasn't even clear if she played chess at all but as the Russian wife of the FIDE treasurer she was good for the team by dealing with the local organisation in their native language.

That is indeed the prime function of the captain to deal with all the tedious admin issues. The captain has sometimes also doubled as the FIDE delegate.

You dont need training, you just need to be a competent person capable of dealing with admin. An easy going personality that gets on with people and an enthusiastic supporter of the team would also be plus points.

I cant recall the captain ever offering much in the way of playing advice to the Mens team - this will be the first time the captain is stronger than the players. I still suspect it will only be the womens team receiving any tutoring.

However the prime function is to deal with captain meetings and admin etc.

Be handy if the captain also supplied noticeboard reports to enhance the bare results.
Douglas Bryson Wrote:Strange that this side-show is the big story - rather than anyone commenting on fact 3 time Brit champ GM Rowson not available.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://chessscotland.com/international/olympiad2010.htm">http://chessscotland.com/international/olympiad2010.htm</a><!-- m -->

Not sure if anyone actually ventures into the website away from this noticeboard but there are reports on the Olympiad back to 1998 - available from that link. You can see who was captain on most of these.

With regard to the non-Scottish status of the current captain I recall Valentina Jarrett had the job in Armenia 1996 and Elista 1998. It wasn't even clear if she played chess at all but as the Russian wife of the FIDE treasurer she was good for the team by dealing with the local organisation in their native language.

That is indeed the prime function of the captain to deal with all the tedious admin issues. The captain has sometimes also doubled as the FIDE delegate.

You dont need training, you just need to be a competent person capable of dealing with admin. An easy going personality that gets on with people and an enthusiastic supporter of the team would also be plus points.

I cant recall the captain ever offering much in the way of playing advice to the Mens team - this will be the first time the captain is stronger than the players. I still suspect it will only be the womens team receiving any tutoring.

Be handy if the captain also supplied noticeboard reports to enhance the bare results.

Based on these critieria the idea we would fund a non-CS member irrespective of nationality seems all the more bizarre. I would have thought there is at least 1 or 2 easy going, well organised members who would have enjoyed the chance to take in such an event?

Other observations:
- Harry Rednapp for Scotland manager?
- Great to see Alan Tate playing
- Sadly I do not even recognise all the names of the women's team despite playing most weekenders - maybe that's because the are playing majors and not opens?
- If Andy gets elected to the local council tonight does this mean someone else get to make these decisions in future?
- [EDIT] Come to think of it haven't seen much evidence of main team playing in Scottish weekenders either this year
- [EDIT2] DId anyone ask Topalov if he was interested at the Edinburgh CC / Quality Chess event on Sunday (..................it's a joke Alex!)
George Neave Wrote:
Douglas Bryson Wrote:Strange that this side-show is the big story - rather than anyone commenting on fact 3 time Brit champ GM Rowson not available.

Based on these critieria the idea we would fund a non-CS member irrespective of nationality seems all the more bizarre. I would have thought there is at least 1 or 2 easy going, well organised members who would have enjoyed the chance to take in such an event?

Other observations:
- Harry Rednapp for Scotland manager?
- Great to see Alan Tate playing
- Sadly I do not even recognise all the names of the women's team despite playing most weekenders - maybe that's because the are playing majors and not opens?
- If Andy gets elected to the local council tonight does this mean someone else get to make these decisions in future and will Boris Johnson be Mayor of Hamilton this time next year?
- [EDIT] Come to think of it haven't seen much evidence of main team playing in Scottish weekenders either this year
- [EDIT2] DId anyone ask Topalov if he was interested at the Edinburgh CC / Quality Chess event on Sunday (..................it's a joke Alex!)
George Neave Wrote:Sadly I do not even recognise all the names of the women's team despite playing most weekenders - maybe that's because the are playing majors and not opens?
...- [EDIT] Come to think of it haven't seen much evidence of main team playing in Scottish weekenders either this year

Funny that. I recognised all the names on the list and could even put faces to them. Pretty sure none of them played in a minor event this season or last. Then again, maybe the reason I'm playing minors is because I don't have blinkers on. Big Grin

Ali Roy and Rosie Guilian are both playing in the Prestwick Open this weekend. You have an hour left to enter George if you want to put faces to names. =o
I find it astonishing the debate (argument) on nationality/CS membership of our non-playing captain. I read with incredulity the requests from some demanding to know detailed costs. Personally I'm in the camp of if he is good enough then he gets the job. If the issue is of who selected him then raise it at an AGM.
I agree with Kafka,,, Come on Scotland!
Quote:Strange that this side-show is the big story - rather than anyone commenting on fact 3 time Brit champ GM Rowson not available.

Jonathan didn't play last time either so I'm not particularly shocked - bit disappointing that our strongest team never seems to be available any more Sad but it gives the others (particularly relative newbies at Olympiad level, Graham and Alan) a good chance to shine Smile

I play in opens and would recognise all the females, but then I always take a look at the other events if possible when I'm at a congress (shame on you George-concentrate a little less on your own games!)

Now that (almost) everybody seem happy with Keith Arkell as team captain/coach, can I ask (again) whether he has captaincy experience? I know he is well-travelled, knows the chess scene and has coached at the British - I was just wondering if he has looked after a team before?

Also, who is representing Scotland on the FIDE congress side of things? Is it Andy Howie? Is there anything interesting we should all know about which is likely to be discussed/voted on there?
Patrick McGovern Wrote:I find it astonishing the debate (argument) on nationality/CS membership of our non-playing captain. I read with incredulity the requests from some demanding to know detailed costs. Personally I'm in the camp of if he is good enough then he gets the job. If the issue is of who selected him then raise it at an AGM.
I agree with Kafka,,, Come on Scotland!

I guess i see it as we are all members of a small / medium size club most of whom are paying around £30-£40 a year for the privilege. So when we spend our club money I prefer it is invested in my fellow members whenever possible.

On other hand some seem to think we are more akin to some sort of professional sport a la football.

Now that's what I call astonishing.
George Neave Wrote:I guess i see it as we are all members of a small / medium size club most of whom are paying around £30-£40 a year for the privilege. So when we spend our club money I prefer it is invested in my fellow members whenever possible.

On other hand some seem to think we are more akin to some sort of professional sport a la football.

Now that's what I call astonishing.

Brilliant post. Thats my view too. Big Grin

P.S. I cannot believe I just agreed with George.
Has anyone else noticed?

There are several characters who like to post on this notice board who try their best to disagree with everyone else.

Create a controversial thread which is close to a two option multiple choices and just watch them squirm as they post.

Good to see just how many people agreed with my views.

Robin,
The role is similar to the to head of delegation for junior trips abroad. It is not essential for that person to have coaching experience. In fact when I appointed you as head of delegation for the trip to Bulgaria last year you expressed your concerns to me that you had very little previous coaching experience. You came back with a different attitude altogether.
Phil,

Your ego has no limits,

Robin.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8