Forums

Full Version: Announcement from Admin Director
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All
Richardson/ Spens Tournaments
In view of recent developments  and in answer to several queries, I have decided to allow postponements of any fixture of the Richardson and Spens cups should any team wish it. This will possibly direct affect FIDE grading processes ( and possible board orders ) if the postponed fixture is played after March but I will advising on that by the grading officer.

In Summary the following changes should be observed:
1.      If any team wishes to postpone their fixture then that request will be accepted.
2.      If any match is postponed, then that will have a knock on effect on the date of the finals day In April
3.      Each team should provide a portable hand sanitiser in the meantime. Chess Scotland is looking into a longer term strategy for future rounds.
4.      All teams should work constructively with each other regarding the current issues.
5.      Boards should be placed as far apart as possible (more information about that later on)
6.       I will also temporarily allow an increase in numbers for the player registration form, within reason subject to my approval.
7.      Shaking of hands , before , during and after isn’t required and shouldn’t take place.
8.      Venues must have cleaning and general toilet facilities.

Scottish Championships
At the moment this tournament will go ahead. However this may change nearer the time and all individuals will be advised accordingly. Chess Scotland will endeavour to provide any additional requirements. It is recommended that all attendees provide refillable water bottles and Chess Scotland will have water jugs on hand

Team Lightning Tournament
Please note: This event, normally held after the SNCL round 7, is cancelled for this year.

Next week I will update the website of further developments. Any queries can be directly addressed to myself
Hi Guys
An announcement has been made by CS Scotland https://www.chessscotland.com/news-post/12033/
Latest update. Having been given advice I have now cancelled the Richardson and Spens Cups for this season rather than postpone them into the next season. The logistics we are all facing (as the Corona virus continues to increase its impact) has become more difficult and it makes more sense to cancel rather than postpone into next year. I will speak to the grading officer if it is possible to FIDE-rate any games if both teams of a particular fixture wish to play anyway.

My decision is based on the following criteria
1. UK and Scottish Governments recommendations
2. Player registration pools potentially becoming decimated
3. Availability of suitable venues
4. The Finals venue will be cancelled
5. Cancellation of Sporting events
6. Last minute potential illness and call offs.
7. Spreading the virus
8. My own client network installing emergency measures

No doubt some of you may disagree with this decision , however I feel it is now the only decision and it is out of my hands. Jim Webster will also be posting on the CS website.
Ian
Games already played are rated by FIDE and CS?
yes George they are graded immediately. Chess Scotland has to be proactive and may revisit the cancellation policy down the line. For next year I would like to start games earlier if possible with a shorter break between rounds. I am thinking about a central venue as well for each round with the cost shared between teams which would save money in the long run rather than the costs placed on the home team.. I would suggest another survey regarding this in the summer assuming the participants are open to this. We could also have FIDE arbiters on site and using the live boards, but that is another discussion for another time
The (Jim Webster) note of 13 March at front page of CS website says that all (CS) 'Cancelled' events are 'subject to review' end April or so by Man Board. My main interest is the Richardson. Is the Richardson (semis and final) truly 'cancelled' for this year or in effect 'postponed' until review end-April? Jim/Ian: please dispel confusion. Many thanks!

Personally I think wholesale cancellation is not (at least yet) in accord with any likely Government advice to 'cancel' so-called 'mass' events. The Richardson semis and finals could easily be staged with a maximum of only around 20 people involved at each, even in May or June (and without any need to convene a 'larger' Richardson/Spens/and any other club final by CS in Grangemouth).

Clubs used to cope with that sort of May finish (even sometimes June, I think) without fuss not so many years ago. So why rush to cancel the semis and final of that event in particular? What actual government advice is at stake here? What actual practically insurmountable obstacles? Why not wait until end-April to make a final decision?
Hi Craig
The decision was taken  for several reasons including receiving advice both medically and otherwise. At the moment the events are cancelled i.e. finished. However the Management Committee may review this decision at the end of April and only if all team captains are in agreement. Clubs cannot cope with this out of hand as they probably wont have venues until the new season is upon us when the new Richardson Cup will be upon us. We didn't rush to make this decision and there were other factors which came into play that I will not mention. The team captains that have approached me have all said the correct decision has been made. I have also had to cancel the finals venue in Grangemouth in April and getting another venue booked in this climate is near to impossible, so the correct decision has been made and i would never force a fixture to be played in these circumstances. Another reason for the cancellation is that several teams had asked for guidance and with these cancellation decisions been taken both inside and outside of chess, then  the decision to cancel is relatively easy to take. It would have more difficult to take a wait and see policy.
On a personal note there was not other decision that could have been made due to notification, venue and playing arrangements to be made.
To me there isn't a cats chance in Hell chance for the games to be played, not least for logistical and medical reasons. You may have noticed I allowed for the chance for  games to be played out width the Richardson Cup. Unfortunately for the Richardson Cup in these current circumstances I cant allow teams to play for other teams deciding it was unsafe or unable to play either by a decimated team pool or the inability to find alternative dates. and venues.
(16-03-2020, 09:47 PM)Ianbrownlee Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Craig
The decision was taken  for several reasons including receiving advice both medically and otherwise. At the moment the events are cancelled i.e. finished. However the Management Committee may review this decision at the end of April and only if all team captains are in agreement. Clubs cannot cope with this out of hand as they probably wont have venues until the new season is upon us when the new Richardson Cup will be upon us. We didn't rush to make this decision and there were other factors which came into play that I will not mention. The team captains that have approached me have all said the correct decision has been made. I have also had to cancel the finals venue in Grangemouth in April and getting another venue booked in this climate is near to impossible, so the correct decision has been made and i would never force a fixture to be played in these circumstances. Another reason for the cancellation is that several teams had asked for guidance and with these cancellation decisions been taken both inside and outside of chess, then  the decision to cancel is relatively easy to take. It would have more difficult to take a wait and see policy.
On a personal note there was not other decision that could have been made due to notification, venue and playing arrangements to be made.
To me there isn't a cats chance in Hell chance for the games to be played, not least for logistical and medical reasons. You may have noticed I allowed for the chance for  games to be played out width the Richardson Cup. Unfortunately for the Richardson Cup in these current circumstances I cant allow teams to play for other teams deciding it was unsafe or unable to play either by a decimated team pool or the inability to find alternative dates. and venues.

I note that SFA have cancelled Scottish Cup semis and final but say they do plan they will go ahead at a later date. I would think the same approach could be applied here. There is no need to book a venue now. This decision can be deferred until mid-year or into the autumn if necessary. In recent years the Richardson has not started before December so there should still be time to fit in the outstanding 3 matches later in they year. Why not?
George,

If you believe Boris etc this is going to go on until Spring 2021...