Forums

Full Version: Team Lightning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Andy, do Hamilton still have their own corner with the most difficult-to-press clocks imaginable?
amuir Wrote:As the lightning is played at the SNCL, I will raise a motion at the SNCL AGM to retain the same time control we have had since the tournament inception.

The Team Lightning is a Chess Scotland event and not governed by the SNCL. The SNCL AGM has no responsibility for this event other than utilising the premises. The venue is hired by the day and combining with the SNCL free afternoon helps reduce the cost of the event.

It is a CS event under the auspices of the Home Director. Ken Stewart runs this on his behalf.
Is this the same Hamilton mob who couldn't muster 5 minutes prep between them for Richardson matches, but they're preparing for a blitz tournament? =))
Whether you like increments or not the point is that the rules are being changed last minute after the entry form has been out for a number of weeks (although I notice this has now been updated within the last day!) The 5 min time control has worked very well for 30+ years.

That can't be right!

By all means change it for next year after seeing if this is what people really want, not based on the same few vocal voices on this noticeboard.
There are all levels and ages at the blitz event.

4 and 2 is quite good as it's probably about 5 to 6 minutes for each player for the game

Then there is 5 and 0

Then there is 3 and 2 which gives about 4 to 5 minutes for the game ...unless it's over 60 moves which does happen but not so much.

I prefer 4 and 2 ....just a bit more time...less frantic for the players....with 3 and 2 it's less time not more than with 5 and 0....is this what players want?

A lot of folk find the blitz event very tiring and do not play for this reason.... I do not think 3 and 2 will reduce the time pressure/stress on most players.....possibly there will be more extended time pressures for many. ..

I think Alan's memories of this event a bit yesteryear!
That's what it was like last time I played, Pat. Andy asked...
It is shocking that our president also believes that you can just change the rules of chess just like that.
And also what is it to do with the international director ?
I am glad I am not on the committee this year, no confidence in any of them.
Why not ask people who regularly play in the lightning what they think of this ?
amuir Wrote:As the lightning is played at the SNCL , I will raise a motion at the SNCL AGM to retain the same time control we have had since the tournament inception.

Andy, Jim is quite right, as the team lightning ts a Chess Scotland event you wont be able to raise a motion at the SNCL as that is a quite separate entity.

As home director I asked Ken (as well as Andy H who also asked Ken ) to run the Team Lightning event as Tournament Director and he has complete authority to run the tournament as he sees fit
amuir Wrote:It is shocking that our president also believes that you can just change the rules of chess just like that.
I did not say anything of the sort!!!!

I specifically did not give an opinion, merely corrected your statement and assumption regarding who has responsibility for the Team Lightning tournament and its rules.
Chess should not be about who can move the quickest.
I agree with Pat, 4 Minutes (+2 secs) making the game last about 5 minutes each. 3 Minutes (+3 secs) feels too quick.
Is 2 secs enough to complete each move easily or do we need another second?
Pages: 1 2 3 4