Forums

Full Version: NEW Baku Olympiad thread!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hi all,

All our players have arrived safely in Baku and we are now happily esconced in the very nice Radisson Park Inn hotel.

I attended the opening ceremony with the entire women's team this evening. The Open team were either still travelling or bedecked in stripey pyjamas (I'm not naming names) and couldn't make it.

It was a reasonably short and pleasant ceremony for the most part, although the captain's meeting descended into farce at times with discussion of the new 'anti-cheating guidelines', followed by a stupidly-long journey back to the hotel. Fortunately all the players missed out on the tiresome part of the evening!

The draw for round 1 should be up soon and I will updating this thread as often as possible. We are seeded 63/180 in the Open section and 69/140 in the women's, seeding s which would generally give us 'softer' round 1 pairings, but in the women's especially we could end up facing one of the 'monster' teams from China, Ukraine or Russia!

Please show your support for the teams by posting here and generally taking an interest in their progress in Baku. Kind words go a long way to boosting confidence!

Many thanks,
Andy Burnett
Not found the Womens draw yet. The Open team are facing Aruba in the first round
Russia for our women in the first round.
The Women's team will start with an easy one - board 3 against Russia!!!
Andy B - let's finish above Denmark .
I see Nikos has decided to captain them this time!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www1.bakuchessolympiad.com/content/53">http://www1.bakuchessolympiad.com/content/53</a><!-- m -->
Setting off for the congress at Inverness shortly. Good luck to everyone at the Olympiad. Best wishes particularly to our Ayrshire girls Ali and Monica who first started representing Scotland when they were nine or ten. It just goes to show all girls thinking of taking up chess that if you are good enough and try hard, you will get chances to represent your country against the World elite.
My team the IBCA got England in round 1!!
Good luck to all the players
IBCA 1-0 England
StevieHilton Wrote:IBCA 1-0 England

They have changed the results and the board order in our match
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7