Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European Youth
I have long argued that proper pre-event preparation was essential for both players and parents. When Jonny turned up at his first event we had no idea about how these events were run, the intensity and standard of play, how we should have prepared his chess in the weeks before and how to prepare during the event. And so on.

Part of this should be a realistic setting of targets, with an understanding of how few points are likely to be scored early on, for each player. Without this, and combined with the usual generic statements about our players being world beaters etc, means that consciously or unconsciously, players have unrealistic expectations and the shock is all the greater when they struggle (that is a relative term!).
ps At its most basic this does not require a big and expensive get together for a long weekend - though that would be good!

pps unable now to edit posts
I've been thinking about this today. We can do all sorts of training and working closely with dedicated coaches in preparation etc. The thing you can't prepare for is when a younger player walks into that hall for the first time and sees the incredible scale of this event. He/she sits down against a very strong opponent they have never met and know little, if anything, about their game. The games start at 3, everyone leaves the hall at 3.10 except for players and arbiters, you are on your own. That must be so very difficult for a young player,

Robin.
robin moore Wrote:I've been thinking about this today. We can do all sorts of training and working closely with dedicated coaches in preparation etc.

Robin.

I would like to see such preparation put in place prior to these large events as I felt that the four juniors who attended the EU event in Mureck received very little support prior to the event and indeed during it. Hamish did his level best with the coaching but I'm sure he will be the first to admit he is not a junior coach Tongue
Linda and everyone,

I'd just like to go over some of the background for Mureck. Roughly back in August last year Hamish approached Paul and told him he had just retired and wanted to help in junior chess. A guy who was a deputy head, great with children, we were delighted to have him on board. Now we started looking at the major events of 2013. Paul decided that he would go to the Euroyouth, I would go to the World Youth and we thought Hamish would be great for the EU youth at Mureck. This was based on past events there. Mureck is a good event but it's not nearly as strong as the other two. The players that go tend to be not the strongest players in their country but are still good players. Mureck only gives funded accommodation for a boy OR girl at u8,u10,u12,u14 plus one coach/head of delegation. We have only sent one coach/head of delegation there in the past. The players that travelled,
Robert Pirrie-Has been working with Hugh Brechin for some time now and recently qualified for the Terafinal, a fantastic achievement
Kirsty McCusker- Was being coached by Adam Bremner (not sure if she still is)- Had a great season and her grade rose by over 400 points
Stuart Wynne- Coached by Clement Sreeves. Had a great result in the EK open, followed by winning the weekend minor at the Scottish Championships
Andrew McCusker- Coached by Andrew Green. Started off the season in the Marymass reserve section and worked his way up through all levels winning a major and a challengers on the way before playing in the full Scottish championships.
All of these players had a 2000+ class player working with them for some considerable time before Mureck.
If we had sent a coach in addition to Hamish it would have cost the CS budget something in the order of £900. We really couldn't justify this based on the number of players travelling. We thought Hamish would be of great help to Robert and Kirsty and perhaps to a lesser extent Stuart. I accept that Andrew's incredible improvement last season put him beyond Hamish's coaching scope. Hope this is helpful,

Robin.
Robin

You have made a number of incorrect statements above but I feel that the forum is not the place for me to pick you up on them.
Linda,

If you wish to email me privately, I will be happy to discuss any concerns you have,

Robin.
Sorry,
just to say I obviously meant 2012 not 2013 in the post above
robin moore Wrote:Mureck is a good event but it's not nearly as strong as the other two. The players that go tend to be not the strongest players in their country but are still good players.

So why not, just one year, send the strongest players and try and win the thing?
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
Alan,

The families of the strongest players we have normally wish them to attend the Euroyouth and/or the World youth which are universally recognised as the top junior events. Next year the World Youth is at Al-Ain in the United Arab Emirates which is clearly going to be very expensive for all involved. I have already been checking out the hotel and location in the Czech Republic for the EU youth event (normally held at Mureck) as I would consider it likely that more families may wish their children to attend this event next year. One thing I am particularly keen on is to try and find U8 players to represent us at all of these important tournaments. Recently, we feel we have not produced anyone good enough to represent us at this level. I am currently trying to reassess this whole issue. If we don't have U8 internationals, then next we won't have U10's and so on. Have a look at the Euroyouth U8 section. We need to try and get some players to these events I feel, although the general consensus is that if we send our best U8 players there and they get wiped out, they will give up the game completely. The EU youth would be a great starting point I feel in 2013,

Robin.