Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martin B Edwards
Just a quick note as I have no more details other than I have received a call from a friend of Martin's telling me he had passed away.
He had been at Cathcart for the last couple of seasons but had been previously been around the Lanarkshire Chess scene for quite a number of years and I am told he also played at Uddingston Grammar school.
If I find out anything else I will post later.
Yeah I was hoping to catch up with Martin at Cathcart. Sad news indeed , he was a stalwart at Lanark Chess Club for many years and was very popular with everyone. He was very talented at the game and a natural. He also played the guitar. In fact he was paying with my guitar one night in my house and was ecstatic when I said he could take it home. Amusing story from Tom Brown at the time Tom had just moved to Lanark and as a relatively private person Tom kept the move quiet and was looking forward to peace in the evenings. Imagine Tom's shock when, just after Tom moved in, there is a chap at the door when there's a chap at the door and when Tom opened it there was Marin grinning there , stating he could see Tom's bedroom from the window, them were the days!
Martin was one of those guys you could depend on, gratious and generous. He would never, ever lie to you or bad mouth you behind your back.

IF you can find out any funeral arrangements Alistair I would be grateful, as far as I know he has no immediate family, his mother died years ago. It was great to see him playing again as chess was his passion.