Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruairidh McKay is the New Admin Director
The Management Board of Chess Scotland are delighted to announce the appointment of Ruairidh McKay as Admin Director.

Work will begin shortly to identify a candidate for Diversity and Equalities Officer to replace Ruairidh in that role.

It is the intention to bring the other candidates who noted and interest into the fold in some capacity in the near future.

We wish Ruairidh the very best in his new role and look forward to working closely with him
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Congratulations to Ruairidh McKay on his appointment. It is not good to have posts vacant.
You have stated that it is the intention to bring the other candidates who noted an interest into the fold in some capacity in the near future.
I have shown interest in joining the Management Board but have not been successful.
I have also shown interest in sponsoring the teams for 2024 but this has not been accepted either.
My money waits in the bank. If it is not wanted, I will spend it on myself, trying to improve my own play at foreign tournaments but at age 65, with a declining rating, this is not an ideal investment.
Andy,

As I thought you were aware, we are investigating having charitable status. This would increase any individual donations from tax payers to the association by 20%.
Donations with conditions attached, would need to be examined, regardless, to ensure that they fitted into the general strategy. That would produce a delay even if charitable status was achieved.
Alex
Let's get the spreadsheet started.
People would put down an amount of contribution together with its purpose.
Alan Tate did something like this previously.
The sponsorship director or management would be in charge.
If the management don't like the purpose of any individual contribution it will be rejected or diverted to another cause.
If taxation benefits improve in the future then totals can be increased by 20% or so.
People thinking about playing for teams can look at the spreadsheet and with the cost burden reduced may decide to play instead of refusing.
Without the spreadsheet you get an old team like the European Team where everyone pays to go but the team isn't the strongest and doesn't do very well and many top players are missing.  
Top rated players want appearance money or reduction in costs.
Andy, the point is that totals CANNOT be increased if the money has already been given. There are legal processes which must be carried out.

While I welcome your ideas, I do not want to appear in court through trying to reclaim someone's tax illegally.

See https://www.gov.uk/donating-to-charity/gift-aid
Alex , what is the timescale for charitable status ?
2024 starts in two weeks time.
Teams will need trained and selected soon.
Those who are working with 5 weeks holiday must start to allocate their time & money now.
For my monies , I will add 20% on myself if you like.
There is the same situation at our church with collections.
For the rest, it is up to you.
There could be pre-charity donations and post-charity donations.
Charitable status is being investigated currently. I don't know what a realistic timescale is in expecting to achieve it. It is certainly not an easy process.