Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chess Scotland Adult Selection Criteria
JIMG writes:
"My opinion is that competitive activities ...prosper when there is an effective pyramid structure which moves players through the ranks from junior elite to elite. Support at different levels (financial, training etc) is required and especially at the top level. A lack of funding has led to reduced activity at elite level and promising players reducing their ambitions in their teens and 20s. Too many are giving up!"
And then
“As I understand it, top Scottish players primarily assess participation a) financially, b) strength of opposition and c) potential achievement (titles etc). Non-participation suggests that current Scottish events are unattractive for them. So rather than try to resolve that issue the rule says "play in unattractive events within this window or you won't be eligible for selection". There must be a better way!”

I think these points get to the heart of the matter. For example, how many events are there in the CS calendar with (a) a classical time control, (b) are within a 50 mile radius of the capital city and © are open to players rated 2000+? I see a few SNCL Sundays and the Edinburgh Congress each Easter. It's hardly a wealth of opportunity.

As Jonathan says, it probably would only make more sense to make such a shift in international selection policy if it is done within a broader program that also takes into account the events framework that exist in the country.
A good job you don't live in a far flung corner of Scottish civilisation like Aberdeen. After all, you would have no chance of gaining a title or be national champion if you lived there.
"A good job you don't live in a far flung corner of Scottish civilisation like Aberdeen. After all, you would have no chance of gaining a title or be national champion if you lived there. "

Agreed it gets harder to get the games in as you move further away from the main population centres. I do think my own case is a pretty good illustration of the problem, though. I live in the country's capital city. The last opportunity I had to play a graded game of classical chess was at the Edinburgh congress in April - 6 months ago. I also see nothing on the horizon bar a couple of SNCL Sundays between now and end of the year. When you cast that against the idea that players need to play more if they want selected for a national team it does seem somewhat at odds. I am sure my case is not unique.

Personally I would be more in favour of selection adding more weight to activity if we were operating in an the environment that gives sufficient opportunity to actually play.
"For example, how many events are there in the CS calendar with (a) a classical time control, (b) are within a 50 mile radius of the capital city and © are open to players rated 2000+? I see a few SNCL Sundays and the Edinburgh Congress each Easter. It's hardly a wealth of opportunity."

I agree with this but to add a few to your event list, Chess Scotland organise and run: Scottish Championship, Richardson and McIsaac events.  Mind you these hardly fill the calendar.

The remaining calendar events are the domains of the various Congress Organisers. One of the biggest obstacles to having classic time controls is access to premises for these longer playing schedules and the cost associated with these longer rental periods. Many also don't want 2 such games per day.  

There are other events such as Jersey(April) and Guernsey(October) but even then you are looking at 500 - 600 pounds per event for travel and accommodation. It is considerably cheaper than the more formal FIDE events mind you where you are looking at double these costs.

PS:
Advert time - don't forget this year that the Richardson is playing under the new rules following the review!  I'll send a copy to each club that registers just to make sure they know them and before the 1st round. These rules will be updated on the website as well, once formalised by the Rules Committee.
Hi all,

Having discussed the planned criteria changes regarding 'activity' with many people now, I have decided that my proposed solution needs to be put on hold.

Although there has been a lot of support for my plans, as some have mentioned the rather abrupt introduction of these changes hasn't taken enough account of the pool of players likely to be involved in the Scottish teams and what they may have already planned for the next 6 months or so, nor have I made my case clear enough as to why I believe these changes are necessary for Scotland's international teams, both at present and going forward.

To me it's very clear - and the debate last year, and the lack of consensus, is what prompted me to make a 'unilateral decision' as International Director - but I'm well aware I'm still only one person and naturally I'd like to have everyone on board, or at least accepting of the changes as being to the benefit of Chess Scotland overall.

So, for the time being the selection criteria will remain the same as before (although I will be advising/reminding our selectors to take the 'activity' factor' very seriously in their deliberations for the likes of the Olympiad next year) and over the next few months I will attempt to persuade all interested parties that the change I had planned to introduce is both necessary and positive.

I look forward to some lively discussions covering a whole range of issues and side-issues on this, so please, if you have a view, add it to the public debate! Keep it friendly though.

Kind regards,
Andy Burnett (CS ID)
Andy , I am trying to find value for money FIDE rated chess at my level.
Do you know if there are free spaces in Cappelle this year ?
What other options are there on the horizon ?
Can a Czech tournament be organised under £500 ?
I only see the 2018 Scot Champs.
There are disadvantages with the others e.g SNCL/Edinburgh  = 2 games a day with 10am start, 4ncl = £200 per weekend etc
That is the main problem with the activity rule - not enough events.
Andy M,

Why don't you simply play in Fide rated Scottish weekenders?
Hi Andy,

You could play 2 Czech events for £500 if you plan it well, as the Czech Tour runs events in pairs (1st event finishes Saturday, next event begins Sunday). I usually do this if at all possible - time constraints on 'normal working people' might make it impossible for them!

Roughly speaking:
£100 return flights to Prague
£300 accommodation (I always book my own accommodation, although the organisers offer 2 types of accommodation to suit your budget (with reduced entry fee). The cheap one is often quite horrendous in my experience!
Free entry for IM/GM (quite cheap for others too)
£100 for food/drink (Czech is generally cheap)

For 1 event only you obviously save money on hotel/entry fees, so £300 is enough if you don't mind B&B/reasonable cheap hotel. Booking flights off-season to Prague is not so expensive, although I use Berlin a lot for trips to the UK (4 hours/20 euros bus trip from Prague either end)
Travel within Czech is ridiculously cheap and very decent.

I have also just posted a new event courtesy of Tim Wall for next year which I am hoping many of our players will play in. League matches are always available and as Robin said, weekenders are also there, although I know you and some others don't like the 2 games per day FIDE-rated aspect. In Czech, the 9-rounders almost always have one double round, the rest of the rounds being late afternoon single rounds per day.

Hope this helps,

Andy B
Sounds interesting - is there a convenient link you could post  with further details?
are the czech tournaments every month ?
hungary 1st saturday used to be cheap, now expensive 
what is the link for accommodation and entry ?