Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The offside rule
Need footballing arbiter here:

A player is in an offside position if three conditions are met: first, the player must be in the opposing team's half of the field. Second, the player must be in front of the ball. And third, there must be fewer than two opposing players between him and the opposing goal line, with the goalkeeper counting as an opposing player for these purposes.

Chelsea v Liverpool : Torres squared the ball to Willian to make 2-0. It was actually a forward pass. Why was Willian not offside ?
in the interest of conspiracy theorists , everyone wants Chelsea to win and keep the Special One in the Premiership, thus keeping the bland fare called english football (that's a laugh given the amount of non-english players) interesting and sponsors happy.
amuir Wrote:Need footballing arbiter here:

A player is in an offside position if three conditions are met: first, the player must be in the opposing team's half of the field. Second, the player must be in front of the ball. And third, there must be fewer than two opposing players between him and the opposing goal line, with the goalkeeper counting as an opposing player for these purposes.

Chelsea v Liverpool : Torres squared the ball to Willian to make 2-0. It was actually a forward pass. Why was Willian not offside ?

Andy,
its the second condition that was not met.

The ball went forwards but the receiver was behind the ball when the ball was played to him.
Those Chelsea forwards sure know the rules.

From this link you want the middle video - 65 seconds in.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.timesoccer.com/video/04/14-chelsea-vs-liverpool-live-champions-highlights.html">http://www.timesoccer.com/video/04/14-c ... ights.html</a><!-- m -->
Thanks Phil, so when it's two v one, four v three etc, when the pass is made the player with the ball must make sure the other player is behind him and the other player must remember this. I am sure there is a chess analogy. In the funny youtube video in spanish the commentator shouts out "special one" and that's all the sense I got !
Ozil's goal for Arsenal on Monday night should not have been allowed.
There was a outfield defender between him and the goal but he was actually ahead of the goalkeeper when the ball was passed to him.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine