Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edinburgh Congress
One or two have not turened up yet...
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Round 5 there is a fault in Board 3. Apologies. I will put the game in when it finishes
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Very appropriate date for Mr Tweedie and Mr Redpath to play such a game :\ :\
George Thomson Wrote:Very appropriate date for Mr Tweedie and Mr Redpath to play such a game :\ :\

I trust the arbiter awarded this game as 0-0.
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
Graeme Russell will be kicking himself for missing 23. Bxh7+ followed by g6+ and Qh5
I too hope that Messrs. Tweedie and Redpath get awarded 0-0 for this effort.

I would also like to congratulate Paisley's Stephen Connor & Roland Fraser for their efforts in the Minor- well played guys, and no GM draw in Round 5!

Colin Macgregor
Alan Jelfs Wrote:
George Thomson Wrote:Very appropriate date for Mr Tweedie and Mr Redpath to play such a game :\ :\

Well, unless they both entered unexpectedly on the final day it actually happened a few years ago. But I've always thought that that game doesn't necessarily imply a prearranged draw - the argument being that both players know that backwards, know that the other one knows it, and that 1.c4 (though was it not actually 1.c3?) is tantamount to a draw offer that was accepted by 1...h5.

Plus, it's a pretty cool game. Optically neat.
Looked like a thrilling final round. Wish I stayed in to watch it.
Hugh Brechin Wrote:
Alan Jelfs Wrote:

Well, unless they both entered unexpectedly on the final day it actually happened a few years ago. But I've always thought that that game doesn't necessarily imply a prearranged draw - the argument being that both players know that backwards, know that the other one knows it, and that 1.c4 (though was it not actually 1.c3?) is tantamount to a draw offer that was accepted by 1...h5.

Plus, it's a pretty cool game. Optically neat.

A nice addition on April 1st, to add some nostalgia. I like the premise that 1.c3 is equivalent to a draw offer and h5 is the acceptance. Basically, would you rather see 7 moves of theory to a dry position, or something funky like that? A nice bit of chess humour.
So Andy has pulled an April Fool on us Big Grin

Still, I would love to see this game played again, and then Black suddenly play 4. ... Rxa5 =)

There was also a case a few years ago of 2 chess-players, a brother and sister, who had flown all the way from the USA to play a European tournament, and found themselves paired against each other.
Their protest was to play a slightly longer stalemate (12 or 14 moves, I think) but with no captures !
Can any-one find the game?
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine