Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish National Online Chess League (SNOCL)
Hi on guys dont shoot the messenger here. All games will be screened by chess.com (or the platform mentioned) Chess.com automatically screen all games on their platform ( as does LiChess ) as long as they are rated by the chess platform. Everyone and I mean everyone (bar one) I have spoken to have indicated they dont want their games screened by CS and they dont want their games graded by CS. If there is a majority wishing for Chess Scotland screening, then I will ask CS if they will do so, which would probably affect the entrance fee as well as this is not a Chess Scotland, similar to the SNCL. Again if there is a majority to make this a CS event then I will ask the management board (and council) to accept this as a CS event. The only screening the SACC provide is for games submitted for allegro grading, but i would be happy to clarify this..

In Summary there is automatic anti cheating screening by the online chess platform already, the question here is whether additional screening by CS is being asked for. For CS screening, i would require all games in the tournament to be sent to me or the anti cheating committee in order to create a PGN, making all games public. I suppose we could then publish those games on the CS website
I would suggest that you use skype rather than an online service
What my French friends do is they have a panel of experts to evaluate the games
to see if an engine has been
All games should be submitted for evaluation
(16-10-2020, 12:18 PM)Ianbrownlee Wrote: Hi on guys dont shoot the messenger here.  All games will be screened by chess.com (or the platform mentioned) Chess.com automatically screen all games on their platform ( as does LiChess ) as long as they are rated by the chess platform.  Everyone and I mean everyone (bar one) I have spoken to have indicated they dont want their games screened by CS and they dont want their games graded by CS. If there is a majority wishing for Chess Scotland screening, then I will ask CS if they will do so, which would probably affect the entrance fee as well as this is not a Chess Scotland, similar to the SNCL. Again if there is a majority to make this a CS event then I will ask the management board (and council)  to accept this as a CS event. The only screening the SACC provide is for games submitted for allegro grading, but i would be happy to clarify this..

In Summary there is automatic anti cheating screening by the online chess platform already, the question here is whether additional screening by CS is being asked for. For CS screening, i would require all games in the tournament to be sent to me or the anti cheating committee in order to create a PGN, making all games public.  I suppose we could then publish those games on the CS website

Ian,
I believe if the event is run as a team event on chess.com then a PGN of the games is automatically created, so having the games screened by CS would create very little extra work.  I doubt that CS would make a charge, but you might decide that you wanted to make an small donation.  Alternatively, you could send the games to Dr. Regan yourself.  It is just beneficial all round, for example you could use the data to warn a team that one of their players was 'in danger'.
Hi Matt
I would have to compile a PGN of all games played and would have to rely on every single game being sent to me, open every game and then save them into the same PGN  Then I would have to send them to CS for screening. I am not aware I can send them to Ken Regan directly. Then i would be in possession of all the games. What do I do with them ?  Would I be mandated to destroy them? This is not a chess scotland event , the fact i am a chess Scotland official is coincidence. CS and its council mandate what is and what is not a CS event, not me or any individual. If you accept that this is not a CS event, then there would be a cost of grading and a cost of screening. If you screen games then what happens if the screening engine highlights possible cheating but the chess platform does not? The words legal minefield comes into play. I for one wont enter that scenario

On a personal note I think the anti cheating platform by both chess.com and LiChess are more adequate, simpler to use and has no blowback. If you dont have or have your account suspended then you cant play. Simple. CS has an anti cheating policy in place and in my opinion there is no further screening required except to protect CS allegro grades a la CS policy. For most of the reasons above I've had three clubs and one league voting no to send games to CS
Ian,
I think quite a few of things you have said there are just not correct. You have obviously made your mind up not have the games screened - that is your right as the organiser. Best of luck with the endeavour.
and as for skype/Zoom etc this would complicate matters beyond usability. Stevie are you seriously telling me multiple cameras on Skype, Zoom etc is feasible etc.  There is already anti cheating screening on every rated game on chess.com and LiChess.
Just been alerted to this (I am on holiday this week otherwise I would have seen sooner).

CS screening is actually Ken Regans system. There is no additional cost to do it. Collating pgns is fairly simple. 3 of us do it twice a week for 4NCL and J4NCL and it has probably 10 -20 times the number of games / teams that this would generate.

Several leagues in Scotland have spoken to me about screening the games and I am more than prepared to do it (it is a service we are providing and there is no cost attached to it. The only cost for me is time)

I'll not speak to Anti cheating measures on the sites. That is not a discussion I am prepared to get into. I do have some very strong views on them due to work I have been doing with FIDE.

On tournaments. I have not run one this month yet as I don’t know what is happening with the candidates. As soon as I know I can plan the next few
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Hi Andy

the majority of people dont want their games sent in for allegro grading therefore I believe there is no requirement for CS to screen them I believe the online platforms provide sufficient screening. Perhaps it is best if we cannot get concenus on how we do this then we drop the whole idea entirely. There is also confusion on what happens to the PGN file once the screening has been concluded . Can you also clarify whether CS would screen non- chess scotland games without any cost
I have already answered that one Ian
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Not screening games, or relying on only platform screening seems a strange decision.

There is cheating happening. That must be accepted. Why anyone would want to play in a tournament with no screening and risk playing a cheat is a mystery to me. In addition, there is little (no) doubt that platform only testing has produced some false positives. Effectively accusing players of cheating where that is unlikely to have happened. Without screening these people have no defence.

Tornelo is a platform worth considering. It is new and features are being added but it seems to produce a single pgn file which can be used for screening. Its online screening may be less 'refined' than other platforms but it does alert the organiser who then makes up their own mind.

It also has an in-built pairing program which is seeking FIDE approval. (The early version was 'problematic' but more recent versions should be better.)

Although it does not give dead positions as draws, it only gives draws which are in accordance with the Laws of Chess. Draws by repetition can be set automatically at 3 occurrences or at 5 as the arbiter wishes.