Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robert Togneri
Stirling Chess Club and the Central League have lost a long-time stalwart following the death on Saturday of Robert Togneri.  He had been in hospital since just after new year.  Robert was a quiet, calm, gentle man who was regard with affection by all of us who dealt with him.  I can't recall him ever raising his voice, and as he liked to encourage people and seek the best in them, on the rare occasions when he criticised anyone it was done in a polite and helpful way.

Robert gave great service to both club and league as an administrator.  When I first enquired about Stirling Chess Club many years ago he was the secretary so he was my first contact there.  At that time he was also league secretary and later acted as club treasurer in addition to being a team captain for many years.  When he finally stepped down from the treasurer's post the records he handed on were impeccable.

Outside his family and faith, chess was one of Robert's life-long loves.  While he was becoming increasingly frail, until a couple of months ago he had rarely missed a club meeting, and when I last spoke to him, having met him between Christmas and New Year on a walk in King's Park near his home, he was hoping to return to the club soon.

As well as his involvement in administration Robert was a regular first team player at Stirling for many seasons, and was good enough to have competed on a couple of occasions in the Scottish championship when you had to qualify for it.  He was particularly strong in endgames and was noted for not getting into time trouble.

Stirling club records show that he made his match debut for the club in April 1964, though he may have joined a year or two earlier.  His final game in the league came in October 2019, over 55 years later.  Happily he contributed a full point in a 3-2 success for Stirling C.

When the club became aware that he had achieved 50 years of unbroken membership he was made our only life member.  in addition, we renamed one of our club tournaments and his name will live on at the club when the members compete twice a year in an allegro evening for the Robert Togneri trophy.
Robert's funeral will be on Saturday 8th February.

Details are on this link :-

https://funeral-notices.co.uk/scotland-c...ri/4806658