Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Youth U-16 Chess Olympiad 2016
B:

Could do better
Alan
Why don't you apply for post of IJD ?
Agree with Andy Burnett's comments. Scotland have some talented players and indeed there are some who are capable of achieving top ten finishes at major championships - but not yet. The question is how we develop those players over the next two or three years so that sort of goal is achievable and I think all the players will have learnt lessons from the Olympiad.
Well done to Keti and the team for their performances. I think David Congalton deserves a fair amount of credit too for thinking about the priorities for Scottish junior chess and getting a really good squad together.
One final comment that I would make to Alan Tate and I'm sure others, is that when we consider the Scottish players rating performances you have bear in mind that generally speaking their opponents will be improving; In that context the Scottish players have done really well.
Andy M: Many reasons, but the current one is more committed than me, seems to be doing well and has a clear vision.

Matthew: True, I hadn't thought of that, but it's kind of a given that a country's top juniors are improving.
I also agree with Andy B's comments: Good job but don't get carried away. There's always room for improvement.
If I can add my own opinion outside my comfort level.

First of all, as already said David Congalton has performed miracles behind the scenes and I'm sure he will continue to do so. I am actually forward to what his opinion is regarding moving forward, at the AGM and his stewardship regarding the junior scene has been excellent.

There i9s absolutelky no doubt in my mind two points

1.We need a youth development officer to open the pipeline, and resolve the issue of dropping juniors when they reach secondary school. The facts speak for themselves.

2. Money may the root of all evil but its an absolute must for developing chess. Take the exampla of the last Olympics. It wasn't home advantage which produced the successes we saw , it was money and lots of it. david has secured sponsorship and we at the management board are endeavouring to persue this avenue much futher. It will take time (and money) but personally I believe we will get there

In the meantime with the present shoestring budget, we did very well and congratulations to David and the team in general

I was never a junior, I was born old
A quick glance at the CS event rating summary would suggest that everyone performed at or above their grading: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/event2017/World_Youth_Olympiad_U16_2016.html">http://www.chessscotland.com/event2017/ ... _2016.html</a><!-- m -->

Given how fast some of those ratings have been improving, I'm not really sure what more we think we should be asking from individual juniors. On the contrary, perhaps any adults with a strong view could volunteer some of their time to help them improve even faster and further - sadly my own ability and coaching is struggling to keep pace (Rachel's performance in the Glorney was c.1950 and she's starting to beat me for real). When accepting Chess Scotland's money to pay for my PVG, however, I took the tacit condition seriously - i.e. that I should contribute some of my own time (free) to help, and I'll continue to do that. More and more of our juniors need a better guide than me though. Perhaps it's time to make the tacit condition less tacit - if we're on the coach list on the CS page, then perhaps we commit to a certain number of free coaching hours (under the direction and guidance of the JD).

In short, talk of further improvement is good, but let's please accompany it with tangible offers of practice assistance - I'm sure that will be welcomed.
good points Peter and more than enough to reflect on.

I'm glad to say that there are more and more people taking chess classes and volunteering at their local schools albeit primary schools. It think there is a touch of irony in that primary schools work in a local level "from the bottom up" whereas | think the trick for secondary schools and beyond would be on a tional level "from the top down". I also think we should invest in a co-ordinated coaching scheme for providing coaching materials to be distributed to schools and youth clubs To paraphrase Game Of Thrones "winter is coming" and some of the kids would like a nice warm club environment to pass their time away.

Chess Scotland will be investing time, money and effort in developing chess. Sadly as yet I don't see a Youth Development officer coming forward at this stage. I would offer myself but I am seeking re-election as Home Director and I feel my efforts shouldn't be divided between the two posts.
Youth development officer is a great idea. What would be involved in the role? (I'm not interested before you get any ideas)
The YDO should be a school teacher.
Perhaps in Glasgow you could contact Graeme Nolan as he teaches in this area.
The Glasgow Schools League needs more schools.
My daughter's school OLSP has a chess club but no school team and my daughter does not attend the club.
I'm curious about the chess dropout rates at school. Is there any difference depending on the school attended?