Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Clarke
Many people will remember George as an enthusiastic member of Stirling Chess Club and an energetic contributor to administration of both the club and Chess Scotland.

Due to deteriorating health he moved several years ago to Mull, where his daughter and her family lived. Despite the distance he maintained his club membership and continued to suggest ideas for the running of the club. He was determined to reach 90 despite having several life-limiting conditions, and typically he achieved that.

Details of the funeral as supplied by his daughter are below :-

Peacefully on 2nd May 2015 at Gormsheil Cottage, Torloisk, Isle of Mull.

Formerly at Blairlogie, Stirling, much loved by daughter Rhona and his
four grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren.

A secular funeral is to be held at Cardross Crematorium, Cardross,
Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire G82 5HD on 15th May 2015 at 14:15pm.

No flowers by request, donations to Macmillan Cancer support please.
Smart Casual attire - no suits.

Please Join us afterwards at The Coach House Inn, Main Road, Cardross,
Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire G82 5JX.

If you require further information, please contact me (Sally -
George's Grandaughter) on:

01688 500048.
Condolence.
Robert lawson, Formerly Benarty chess club.
I have only just noticed this thread. Belatedly I would like to add my own appreciation and condolences to George's family.

I really only recall getting to know George in the early 2000s but I can only echo comments about his cheery and supportive personality. He did a lot, much of it quietly and modestly in the background for chess locally and nationally.

As I recall, he used to chivvy members of the Stirling club to embrace annual meet and play the public events in Stirling shopping centres. He supported juniors and I recall that he travelled down to London some ten years ago when a Scottish junior team played on the House of Commons Terrace against a team of MPs that included Alan Reid (Board 1) and visited 10 Downing Street.

He also organised, if my memory serves me correctly, one of the annual (at least then or thereabouts) world championships for medical doctors to take place at Stirling University campus, quite a feather in Scotland's cap.

I shall miss him and his completely selfless organisational chess enterprise.