Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commonwealth Championships
Round 9: Part 2 is finally complete Smile
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.streetfightingchess.com/commonwealth-scottish-championships-round-1/">http://www.streetfightingchess.com/comm ... s-round-1/</a><!-- m -->

It's been an exhausting - though thoroughly excellent - week, and I'd like to add my thanks to everyone who made the event possible and run as smoothly as it did!

Andy Burnett
OK guys, I am confused.

The list of winners says that the women's champion is Soumya Swaminathan - however she is clearly in between Sachdev and Kulkarni in the prize giving pics (which could be wrong) but she is also holding the Silver Medal document?!

So, who won the Women's title?
Now corrected.

I'm glad so many enjoyed the event,
andyburnett Wrote:Round 9: Part 2 is finally complete Smile
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.streetfightingchess.com/commonwealth-scottish-championships-round-1/">http://www.streetfightingchess.com/comm ... s-round-1/</a><!-- m -->

It's been an exhausting - though thoroughly excellent - week, and I'd like to add my thanks to everyone who made the event possible and run as smoothly as it did!

Andy Burnett

Good job on your blog Andy (and also Andy H who knows I was following his too). Couldn't help notice your last post after Rnd 9 said FM Tate had agreed to annotate his game for SC Mag. I might not have 2+2=4 here but could one read into that, your the new CS Mag editor?
Now that would be telling....

I have my final blog to do. Will probably do tomorrow once I have caught up with some sleep. Still a few bits and pieces to do and I can finally relax Big Grin
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
The live coverage of recent events (Commonwealth, SC Junior etc) is excellent. As a player and parent this sort of thing is simply invaluable and I know from sitting with the other parents how much it is appreciated and used.
Peter raises a good point. Ideally I would like to see the live boards at all our events but it is just not possible for me to do. I can't be at every event and with the injury to my arm, I am not supposed to carry the boards.

At the moment there are a handful of people in Britain who can do this, if something ever happened to me we would not be able to do this at all. I really need a couple of people who want to learn how to do this so I have backup
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Alan Tate Wrote:Aha, I wondered why IM Grant was so bitter afterwards. In reality however he never had a chance - Colin was winning every tiebreak.

There was some confusion over the tie break methods in the various competitions. Jonathan and I had asked one of the arbiters which tie break was being used in the Championship and been told it was W minus We (moral: don’t ask busy people questions as they are rushing around doing something else Smile ). I think this method (which players including Jonathan don’t support, as it is really only suitable for grading prizes) would have given him the title.

Jonathan was a bit down after round 8, as in his last two games he had let two wins slip into draws and his chances of even reaching a tie break were clearly remote, dependent as they were on six or seven favourable last round results. As it turned out, it looked like they had all gone ‘his’ way, up until your dramatic late push. So he must have been disappointed, though he said to me you deserved to win the title (as I think was generally agreed) and I understand he congratulated you. So I think there’s probably been a misunderstanding here…

That aside, it was a terrific finale
Cheers
Walter
Glad you cleared that up Walter as I was wondering.

W-WE tie break- Total agree its not suitable for championship tie breaks - especially in large fields- Like you say grading prize is one thing - I would like to see it changed as it could be very controversial if its not
Oh, don't read too much into that tongue-in-cheek comment, Walter. I was bored and he is an easy target. I'm weak in character you see :-

Agree about W-we. It works for rating prizes only - measuring the relative performance of a player - which is what rating prizes are all about imo.

TPR would have worked this time but is not always a reliable tiebreak method.

If playoffs are not practically possible then the title should be shared. Swiss opens are random enough already (imo of course).