Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Junior International Events
Hi Derek,
Just want to confirm that I don't think players attend these events solely or partly with an eye on their CV. My comment was more against the suggestion that improving the CV, having a chess holiday or whatever could be the justification for the expense in attending these events. I certainly know of players from not too long ago who, whose focus was more on the holiday than on the chess.

I would ask if anyone objects to having a situation whereby we are able to select players in every age group, each of whom have the reasonable expectation of scoring above 50%?

The next question is how is that goal best met and setting up that systems that aim to help the players gain the experience and knowledge that allows them to compete. I think by making demands on players (that they make a certain standard) while providing them with the tools and opportunity to earn these rewards, one also sends out a strong message that not only is hard work necessary it is normal.

This can not be achieved overnight but rather gradually and by doing the right things year on year that standards and expectations are raised. But one must have a goal to work towards. I think the training that the squad players are now getting is a brilliant step in the right direction.

Messages In This Thread