Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Junior International Events
Mike Scott Wrote:
Quote:I am afraid this idea that just attending these events while being wholly uncompetitive is part of the problem. Having something that 'looks good' on your CV should be a secondary consideration.

I have made the point earlier in this thread, but to clarify - Only competent players will be selected for overseas international junior events.
Representing Scotland is more than wearing the Scotland T-shirt and adding to a CV. I value Scottish selections so highly because of the positive motivational influence it can have on young players. I believe when used correctly selections can be the conduit for retaining young chess players' interest through the teenage years when there can be so many other distractions and therefore keep them in the game over the longer term. If these prized positions are discarded for non chess reasons then I believe the one key initiative that we have at our disposal to keep the domestic game alive is being lost. The intention of junior selections is to travel with as large a squad of competent players as possible to international events. We will never develop as a chess playing nation if we only take an elite few.

Messages In This Thread