Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Junior International Events
Quote:As a parent- the pleasure, pride and satisfaction that your child will have represented your country at the pinnacle world events.

As a junior- On your cv for prospective employers/ university places...you have represented Scotland at events at home and abroad.

Money well spent?

I am afraid this idea that just attending these events while being wholly uncompetitive is part of the problem. Having something that 'looks good' on your CV should be a secondary consideration.

Given the limited supply of cash most parents have, CS is not doing anyone any favors by selecting players that simply are not YET up to competing at this level. Many parents simply do not appreciate the difference in level between chess education in Scotland and in the leading countries and very few will be able to resist the temptation of going.

While some players will respond positively to the challenge and will go away and come back the following years stronger and better for it but many will find it sole destroying.

I used 'education' above because very often the main difference was not in innate chess ability rather it would be in the theoretical knowledge of openings/endings and perhaps also experience of this level of competition. If a fraction of the monies spent attending these events were spent on getting that education first the players would be significantly stronger. I would argue that its CS's job to make the case and to persuade parents to make that investment.

I fear also that having too many players there who are there for their cv detracts from the focus of the squad and the intensity that can be created.

I am not arguing against players going to events but any events should be of the appropriate level so that they gain the experience in advance of attending the top events when they are older.

Messages In This Thread