Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Junior International Events
Jacqui Thomas Wrote:
robin moore Wrote:A lot of very good points raised here. On the coaching front, regarding online coaching in particular, I am obviously not up to date on this. Guys like Calum MacQueen and Andrew Green are in a far better position to explain the present situation regarding coaching on all fronts and the benefits/drawbacks.

However, I had a look through the Edinburgh congress results. To my knowledge, the numbers below have received online coaching in the past and may still be doing so now. I looked at Scottish U17 and under...

Premier 3/3
Challengers 5/6
Major 3/4
Bishops 3/4
Knights 4/15 (there are a good number of younger local players who I have no idea about)

Robin, I appreciate that this looks good on the surface but without sounding too negative do we know how many have given up chess because the additional coaching all be it online or not (a) took the fun out of it (b) put too much pressure on them or how many have not improved since having online coaching. The latter is not necessarily any reflection on the coaches but perhaps more to do with adapting play between screen & over the board.

If (emphasis on the IF) the resources are there maybe the old system of a Junior Squad training day could be set up. This would be most valuable in the lead up to the Glorney festival. To be honest would be much more beneficial than having coaches at the event imo.

Jacqui,

I understand your concerns that (internet) coaching may be putting juniors off playing because of pressure or chess becoming too formal and not fun but I disagree.

Coaching online isn't new, I know of many people in England and across the world who have coaching online with coaches from abroad. I think it's an excellent idea making use of all the technology possible to give access to talented, motivated juniors the level of support they want. I have six students, four from Aberdeen, one from Ayr and one from Glasgow. I wouldn't be able to help any of them on a regular basis without the internet. I think we've gone huge strides to helping our young stars become really strong players.

To your points a) and b) above I'd say that the (admittedly informal) feedback is all positive: all coaches who are involved are highly motivated and can be seen between rounds at congresses looking over students games face-to-face. The juniors really enjoy the sessions and as Robin posted above are clearly benefitting from them.

I’d like to organise some junior training days during summer for the Glorney but in my mind there’s no substitute for regular, good quality coaching. It’s impossible to offer training weekends every weekend but it’s very simple to sit down in front of your computer for an hour (usually more, I think my record is two hours) and talk to a 2000+ player about how to improve.

Thanks,
Calum

PS. Trying to get a junior website up and running soon with details of coaching but until then if you’re interested and want to know more please email me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:JuniorInternational@ChessScotland.com">JuniorInternational@ChessScotland.com</a><!-- e -->. If you’re interested in over the board lessons I can try help you as much as possible as well.

Messages In This Thread