Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Junior International Events
Mike Scott Wrote:The problem of increasing the numbers that stay playing and improving the strength of the elite require separate solutions. I suspect however, as Linda suggested, if you solve the former, you will take a step towards solving the latter. Actually I would go further and say that if you a system that was designed to improve the playing strength of juniors at all levels would help retain players.

I believe Mike is right - as whilst players are at Primary they are happy to play at any level but once they move up to Secondary it seems only the 'better' players are retained. Its like they play for fun, which is great, but the mind set seems to be that when they get older they need to be at a higher competitive level & if not there they give up. At International level some in the top 5 drop out because its always the top (maybe top2) player/s in the age group that seems to get the International invites & their grade gets better & better leaving the others behind. I believe that the ones left behind then give up because they see the gap too big. Obviously there are other factors that come into this like other interests. However, if there was a better coaching scheme in place it might help to bring more on. But like anything its all very well having suggestions but who is actually going to do the work.

I appreciate that there are junior training days already in place but an actual programme might be enough to encourage more to participate as lot of the 'talented' players dont seem to attend the sessions. Of course there is then the danger that you frighten a lot away as the fun is taken away & too much pressure put on.

Although online coaching might help a few & in some cases be no alternative due to location, you still cant beat face to face coaching. Maybe local clubs could run a junior coaching session once a month as the problem with any coaching programme is you are then relying on peoples goodwill to be the coaches & running a club where there is coaching weekly puts too much pressure on the coaches so its swings & roundabouts & somehow a balance needs to be found that suits all.

Messages In This Thread