Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Junior International Events
Robin,
Interesting idea but as I have argued previously I do not think that sending junior players to international events is necessarily the best way to improve the long term future of chess in Scotland. I have no doubt that if the right players play more international events they will get better however if you define 'long term future' as an increasing numbers of players then I suspect funding a few juniors is unlikely to do this. I would also argue that actually the money would be better spent on for example engaging the services of an experienced coach to develop a Scottish Chess School that would better chess-educate both the players and their coaches.

Personally I think that the future of scottish chess is about ensuring that players keep playing, at all levels and ages.

Do not misunderstand me - I am not arguing against the ideal or the indeed the necessity to provide funding for playing abroad representing Scotland, I am just not convinced that one does this for the long term future of chess in Scotland.

Messages In This Thread